[Law] How Brexit may affect your wallet.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Will I still be able to get a croissant for breakfast? :drool:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
The Euro was brought in, not at a sensible economic time, but as a concession to France to allow the reunification of Germany.

This gets even better!

German reunification took place on 3 October 1990, at 00:01

The Euro came was adopted on January 1, 1999 by 11 Member States. Greece became the 12th Member state to adopt the Euro on January 1, 2001.

So please explain how a "concession to France to allow the reunification of Germany." was made nearly a decade after Germany's reunification.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Apparently they HAVE been "signed off" BUT "record significant errors".

See HERE

As is fairly normal. Especially as some of the "errors" are down to the UK not providing supporting evidence.

I'm glad you agree that Flipflop is telling lies. Why is that?

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
There was a huge amount of confirmation bias during the referendum and this is an example of it.

Lots of people had a long-standing dislike of the EU - some for legitimate reasons and some not so much - and when the campaigning started they'd immediately accept "facts" which confirmed their preconceptions and not look further (while also being overly critical of evidence going against their preconceptions).
These are genuinely held beliefs, so it would be excessive to describe them as lies when they're repeated (though they may have been in the beginning - I struggle to believe our now Foreign Secretary believed the EU's accounts weren't audited).

It wasn't restricted to brexit voters - exactly the same thing happened with remainers.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Will the Ryder Cup return to being GB v USA or will it now become Europe v USA and GB golfers left out? It is now publicised as Europe V USA. Having said that it was an English man that donated the trophy so perhaps if they don't let GB play then we can do the equivalent of taking our ball away! :hap:
Just want to know before my brother-in-law books accommodation for the next one!

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
There was a huge amount of confirmation bias during the referendum and this is an example of it.

Lots of people had a long-standing dislike of the EU - some for legitimate reasons and some not so much - and when the campaigning started they'd immediately accept "facts" which confirmed their preconceptions and not look further (while also being overly critical of evidence going against their preconceptions).
These are genuinely held beliefs, so it would be excessive to describe them as lies when they're repeated (though they may have been in the beginning - I struggle to believe our now Foreign Secretary believed the EU's accounts weren't audited).

It wasn't restricted to brexit voters - exactly the same thing happened with remainers.

Not to the same extent.

I applied a simple basis. If the leave campaign could not give me a good enough reason for Britain to change then we were better wit hthe devil we knew.
The only reasons for leaving were things that were untrue. So I did not support them. When I checked both sides more of Boris & Nigel's "facts" were clearly nonsense that remain's "facts".

I notice the NHS, for example, will get none of the, £350,000,000 per week. Well fair enough since it does not exist.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
This gets even better!

German reunification took place on 3 October 1990, at 00:01

The Euro came was adopted on January 1, 1999 by 11 Member States. Greece became the 12th Member state to adopt the Euro on January 1, 2001.

So please explain how a "concession to France to allow the reunification of Germany." was made nearly a decade after Germany's reunification.

This is from the Germans and French in the office, who state that the French only agreed to allow the Reunification, if the Germans agreed to speed up the introduction of the Euro. Germany had always known the Euro was likely (indeed it was being discussed), but the difference was - should there be a fiscal union as well. Something France objected to. So France took this opportunity to get Germany to drop it's demands, speeding up the process of the Euro, and speeding up the implemenation of the project.

So yes - the 2 are linked, even if the actual dates of implementation are far apart.

As for the auditors - you are right. They have been signed off since 2007. My mistake, but worth noting prior they were not (although this might be due to the standards required).

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
I would be interested in what, beyond a single market, you think the EU is but ought not to be?

Lets ask a slightly different question. What form does an institution need to be to oversee a trading union? And what resources does it need? The largest is the WTO. With a budget of CHF 197m in 2015, of which the UK contributed CHF 7.5m. The EU budget is about CHF 550m

So why does it need to be this large to just run as a single market?

Payments for research, education, farmers - these are not "single market" activities. In fact the EU breaks it's expenditure down into 6 (really 7) areas:
Economic and social cohesion ~ 33%
Competitiveness for growth ~ 12%
Sustainable growth ~ 42%
Security ~ 2%
Global Europe ~ 6%
Admin ~ 6%
And Special < 1%
(yes I know over 100%, but rounded figures)

A lot of this spending sounds like political, and not a single market, financing. So is the EU engaged in more than just running a single market? Is it, in effect, operating as a government of Europe on many ways. So like National Parliament uses funding to distribute wealth, and create growth, is it doing the same on a European level? The answer is yes. There is talk (will it happen? I doubt it anytime soon) of EU Army. There are cries for "more integration". Integration is not needed for a single market. (Again - not saying it will happen, but there is a desire among several of those in charge)

And then there is the direct underwriting of governments by the ECB (in effect putting the tax payers on the hook for the government debt - a huge issue for German, and only allowed due to a fudge). And look at what it did to the legally elected government of Greece. And the issues created in Spain and Italy. Issues the UK avoided by devaluing.

So the EU is far more than a single market. It is a EU government, operating with (admittedly) one hand tied behind it's back. Being driven by the more powerful to their needs. IT doesn't have the full array of powers necessary to do the job properly, and to my mind, it needs to either gain those powers, become a full "Nation", or it should revert back to being a Single Market.

And as for what I think of the projects it undertakes - these can still happen - let the individual countries decide if they want to help their neighbours (In the same realm of "Foreign Aid"). Let countries devalue if necessary - to save themselves, and their people. You can have the single market, and not have the rest.

For me - I see no need to go beyond the European Council. In otherwords - head of state (or representatives) meet to discuss bi-laterial (or multi-lateral) agreements, which then member countries implement (or not). Each country free to do what it wants. No need for the Council of EU, European Parliament, Commission, Court of Justice (but can see a role for a way for the EU countries to have disputes heard, in a WTO like way), ECB and European Auditors.

So let me spin the question around. Do you really believe the EU is only a single market?

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Will I still be able to get a croissant for breakfast? :drool:
You may still be able to get crescent shaped viennoiserie-pastry thingies, after all foreign sounding words have been removed from the English language.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Of course, if Farage wants the French words removed from our Passports, what are we going to call them?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Of course, if Farage wants the French words removed from our Passports, what are we going to call them?
"Passport" is not French. The French word is "passeport". :booty:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
"Passport" is not French. The French word is "passeport". :booty:

The etimology of the word shows French as the language it is derived from. passport (n.) c. 1500, from Middle French passeport "authorization to pass through a port" to enter or leave a country (15c.), from passe, imperative of Old French passer "to pass" (see pass (v.)) + port "port" (see port (n.1)).

So out it goes.

Even England's saint is a foreigner. So Bye Bye St George too.https://www.google.co.uk/search?cli...ved=0ahUKEwi1vLCb1-fPAhVZOMAKHYqdDUcQvwUIGygA

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
... and St Andrew was born by the Sea of Galilee, St david

st patrick was a Brit. Goodness that goes back a LONG way ;-)

didds

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The etimology of the word shows French as the language it is derived from. passport (n.) c. 1500, from Middle French passeport "authorization to pass through a port" to enter or leave a country (15c.), from passe, imperative of Old French passer "to pass" (see pass (v.)) + port "port" (see port (n.1)).
During the ice ages there was nobody living in what is now Britain, so everybody here is an immigrant. ("Farage" sounds like a French name to me.)

Reductio ad absurdum here we go!

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
During the ice ages there was nobody living in what is now Britain, so everybody here is an immigrant. ("Farage" sounds like a French name to me.)

Is that not the point. All this crap put out by the "keep Britain British brigade" is simply nonsense. Thanks for confirming it. 1000s of years of integration has created Britain, as indeed every other nation. Long may it continue.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Most meat names go out (per Lord Melvyn of Warg)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Is that not the point. All this crap put out by the "keep Britain British brigade" is simply nonsense. Thanks for confirming it. 1000s of years of integration has created Britain, as indeed every other nation. Long may it continue.
My point exactly.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes

You are not wrong.
The surname Farage, according to its owner, is of Huguenot origin. The Huguenots were members of the protestant church in France who fled in their tens of thousands from religious persecution. As many as 500,000 left the country in the late 16th and early 17th Centuries, many of them settling in Britain.

And there's more...
When told that The Mail on Sunday planned to publish an article on his* German ancestry, Mr Farage, said: ‘I’ve never made any secret of a variety of* European links of the original derivation of my surname.’ However, he admitted he had failed to mention his German ancestors on his mother’s side, despite being questioned on* a regular basis about his German wife.
Nigel Farage is absurd.