[Kit] How do you use your watches ? Stoppages etc ?

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Just wondering, as never had much coaching on this point, how you all use your watches ?

I'll explain how I use mine and see if there is a better idea out there.
I have a watch on each arm (a spare in my bag ).
Left wrist has hands for the time of day and a digital display stop-watch for the time-of-match. I stop + start this stopwatch during the game if I need to. It counts up from 0:00 to 40:00.

My right wrist has a digital (stop watch mode) watch. I start it at same time as left ( at kick off) but never stop it. It just keeps running. I find this has helped me out of jail on a a couple of times when I messed up the start-stop watch restarts. i.e. I can frequently track , through the half, by how many minutes we have stopped.
So, if I notice I have forgotten to restart my left, I simply thnk, "Right - so it was 2 mins behind last time I stopped. So I'll play until right wrist says 42:00".

Make sense ? Any tips ?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I have a Spintso watch which runs real time and elapsed time on the same face and beeps (old one used to vibrate) when I have time off - to remind me to restart it when appropriate. YCs I make note of elapsed time and keep an eye on it. Multiple YCs can be fun but isn't it always?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I have a Spintso watch which runs real time and elapsed time on the same face and beeps (old one used to vibrate) when I have time off - to remind me to restart it when appropriate. YCs I make note of elapsed time and keep an eye on it. Multiple YCs can be fun but isn't it always?

For yellow cards I use the RFU scorecards and I make a note along side the players number of what time he is due back ON playing time. So even if I start and stop time its right.

Last edited:

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Just wondering, as never had much coaching on this point, how you all use your watches ?

I'll explain how I use mine and see if there is a better idea out there.
I have a watch on each arm (a spare in my bag ).
Left wrist has hands for the time of day and a digital display stop-watch for the time-of-match. I stop + start this stopwatch during the game if I need to. It counts up from 0:00 to 40:00.

My right wrist has a digital (stop watch mode) watch. I start it at same time as left ( at kick off) but never stop it. It just keeps running. I find this has helped me out of jail on a a couple of times when I messed up the start-stop watch restarts. i.e. I can frequently track , through the half, by how many minutes we have stopped.
So, if I notice I have forgotten to restart my left, I simply thnk, "Right - so it was 2 mins behind last time I stopped. So I'll play until right wrist says 42:00".

Make sense ? Any tips ?

I do something very much the same but with one watch. Stopwatch for game and 40min (or less by agreement :eek:)) timer. That beeps at 40 and sometime confuses players who don't know that I have stopped the stopwatch.

The other thing I do just in case is I write down the actual starting time of each half so if my watch stopped I could ask almost anyone for the time and be close enough for the level I referee.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
For yellow cards I use the RFU scorecards and I make a note along side the players number of what time he is due back ON elapsed time. So even if I start and stop time its right.
Surely it's wrong, as YC is ten minutes playing time, not elapsed time

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
One wrist has my Garmin forerunner which tracks my distance run and displays the time of day.
At the start of each half i make a note of the time, as a back up.

On my other wrist is a timer watch counting down from 40.00. i reckon its much better to count down than up , as players ask how much longer , not how much has gone by.

For YC I make a note of the countdown timer when they go off

Similarly make a note f the time with every score

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I get the ARs to keep time for me.

Just joking :)

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I note kick-off time for each half, scores (+ converted or not) with times, cards (player number, time, offence) in two columns, one for each team. With the times, I can reconstruct the score at the time of carding if need be. Reserves at the bottom of the page.

I have a stopwatch that counts down from 40:00 and vibrates rather than beeps at 0:00. It has clock time small above it, and I have a trusty analogue watch in my bag for emergencies, the watches synchronised.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Stopwatch on my left arm for actual playing time and normal watch on my right arm. I always note planned finish time. If I cock up and forget to start after a stoppage, I use the normal watch as a back up to asses when I think the game should end. As long as I,m clear to the players when the ask how long to go sir? I am the sole judge of time

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I have it running up for 40 minutes, for YC I either ask my ARs to time those if I have ARs or just remember when I issued the card, it's not difficult to remember a time of a card.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I have it running up for 40 minutes, for YC I either ask my ARs to time those if I have ARs or just remember when I issued the card, it's not difficult to remember a time of a card.
IIRC you don't have stoppage time because it would delay the start of the next match on that pitch? Does that mean your YC may last for less than the required 10 minutes playing time?

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
IIRC you don't have stoppage time because it would delay the start of the next match on that pitch? Does that mean your YC may last for less than the required 10 minutes playing time?

Luckily I'm usually the last game of the day so I get stoppage time.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

No, where Drift & I ply our trade, the earlier adult games have stoppage time. The requirement is that the game finish with at least a 5 minute gap before the next game.

So 2nd grade kick off at 1:30pm and the game is required to be finished no later than 3:05pm if there is a 1st grade game following.

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7

It can get complicated if the YC runs across halves, as you need to note when the half finished (rarely bang on 40 mins), and ensure that is taken into account in the second half. With everything else going on, I just find it easier to write down the end time, then spend half time working out how much time is left.

Mini P

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I have a Garmin Vivosport which has a downloadable app called 'Referee Watch' which has 2 timers on screen; one counting up and one counting down. When there is a stoppage, the count down pauses and a third display comes up with the amount of the stoppage (to monitor the 1 minute stoppage).

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
No, where Drift & I ply our trade, the earlier adult games have stoppage time. The requirement is that the game finish with at least a 5 minute gap before the next game.

So 2nd grade kick off at 1:30pm and the game is required to be finished no later than 3:05pm if there is a 1st grade game following.

I still don't understand how you ended up with this system ..
1 in a country with so much space how are you so short of pitches ?
2 if I understand the system correctly every Saturday half the rugby pitches (those of the clubs playing away) stand empty while the other half host multiple games all crammed into a tight schedule

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
its also a country with potentially large distances - Ive played sydney suvbbies games wherte the oppo is 90 minutes away. So maybe histprically it was easier/cheapy/efficient to have all the players form one club travelling to the home club rather than half of each club travelling each way?

Purely a guess mind you? And probably stand up to much scrutiny!

Having played sydney subbies with this system I rather liked it.

didd

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Oh - the system also allows for maximum participation. 3rd, 2nd.and 1st grade bench is made up from those that have just finished playing, rather than having a dedicated bench that sits there for the best part of an hour and may not even get on. Its only 4th grade that has to carry a bench as that's the first game of the day

dikdds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I suppose also everybodyt gets to play on the #1 pitch? As opposed to the 3trd XCV playing oon a council pitch a mile away down a muddy lane, or a 15 minute walk away across several hundred acres of council pitches.

didds