How Far?

Novice-Ref

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
How far would a referee typically run in a game?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
While Rushforth helpfully runs to the archive and back, it seems that most Community refs run about 4 miles per game.

My unscientific guess is that this is not quite as universal as it seems. I'd guess that the 4 milers were forwards in their playing days, while those of us who were athletic then probably run about 12-15 miles per game now :wink:

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
While Rushforth helpfully runs to the archive and back, it seems that most Community refs run about 4 miles per game.

My unscientific guess is that this is not quite as universal as it seems. I'd guess that the 4 milers were forwards in their playing days, while those of us who were athletic then probably run about 12-15 miles per game now :wink:

In my athletic days (90 minutes for half-marathon when I was 16 ... downhill from then on) I switched from 2nd row to front.

My unscientific guess is that former backs* are like pigeons. They can bob their heads around while running to focus on the action (cigarette butts in particular), but are unable to anticipate where the next ruck or maul will be.

* It goes without saying that former scrum-halves do anticipate so well that they stroll to where the next ruck or maul will be. ;)

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I'm sure I referee's a dire mudfestslop match where the ball rarely got to either no#10 .... I estimate I walked further to the pitch, than I ran that day !

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
In my experience it is somewhere between 3.5-6 (gps watch), I have never gone over 6, my furthest game felt really fast for rugby, and still it wasn't that much distance. Considering the average professional football referee makes approx. 10-12 a game IIRC. So I would think that 6 for rugby would be right for the high end.

Cody

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Anywhere between 6-8kms for me. However I tend to do a lot more running than I need to.

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
On a side note 7s, at the higher level games (USA Qualifier) I've ran a lot. Anywhere from 1.5-2.5 was common depending on the speed of attack.

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
One of the Championship ARs was doing a thesis last season and strapped GPS and hrm to all the refs he worked with. We averaged about 6km if memory serves.

pwhaling

Referees in America
Post Likes
I am covering anywhere from 3.5 miles to 3.8 per game. Haven't crossed the 4 mile yet.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
One men's game was pick and drive and pick and drive and crash ball - 2.8 miles

a week later, Women's College who liked to spread the ball - 5.7 miles

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
The amount and quality of the kicking also makes a big difference. Ariel ping pong followed by a long touch finder / 40 m return run soon rack up the yards.

Fatboy_Ginge

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Running... I was a prop for [insert deities name here] sake... I trundle