[INTERNATIONAL] How many penalties?

Jolly Roger

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
About six. Is that really how we used to play? It was great fun back in the day though!!

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Yikes!

#6 green - RC for tip tackle. No if or buts.
#5 red - YC likely for reckless contact to head/neck when illigally entering ruck.
#12 green - RC for shoulder charge directly to head of defenceless #9.
Good day in the office!

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
What about the punch by 13 green?

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
But it's a back?! That's not a punch...it's more of a high five down low...nothing in it.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
"Being Welsh. Back 10 now please"

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
It looked as if he penalized Red14 for falling on top of the RSA player holding the ball on the floor.
[LAWS]Players must not...
Fall over the ball as it is coming out of a ruck.[/LAWS]

I wonder if it was this game WALES 13 SOUTH AFRICA 23 at the Millennium Stadium (26th November 2000 15:00hours). It must be late on in the game as the replacement scrum half is on #22 Rupert Moon.

With the scores tied at 13-all with just five minutes to play, South African centre Robbie Fleck was shown a yellow card by referee Steve Walsh
It also begs the question what was deserving of a YC later?

Last edited:

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
It looked as if he penalized Red14 for falling on top of the RSA player holding the ball on the floor.
[LAWS]Players must not...
Fall over the ball as it is coming out of a ruck.[/LAWS]

I wonder if it was this game WALES 13 SOUTH AFRICA 23 at the Millennium Stadium (26th November 2000 15:00hours). It must be late on in the game as the replacement scrum half is on #22 Rupert Moon.

With the scores tied at 13-all with just five minutes to play, South African centre Robbie Fleck was shown a yellow card by referee Steve Walsh
It also begs the question what was deserving of a YC later?

Is it really Walsh? He doesn't look wide enough!

I reckon you're right about Rupert Moon, though - even in a poor quality video his nose stands out!

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
That's a brilliant clip. A gazillion penalties in a very short space of time. Wouldn't be long until 6v6 in a game like that if interpretations applied these days.

Interesting question - does anyone really believe the game was better 'in the old days' if this sort or rubbish and highly dangerous play was allowed?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
.... Interesting question - does anyone really believe the game was better 'in the old days' if this sort or rubbish and highly dangerous play was allowed?
... Is that really how we used to play? It was great fun back in the day though!!
Different times eh!

When I watch some of the old clips I am gobsmacked. Eg I came across this old clip from the "Battle of the Knoll" when South Africa played Neath back in November 1994. I think the word that springs to mind is "Brutal" and I have no idea how the game wasn't called off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUzwdZYOsEU

Jolly Roger

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Players were nowhere near as heavy as they are today and I don’t recall that many players getting injured. It was great to play but probably not so good to watch. That is probably why the game was amateur and spectators were there for the drink and craic.

Don’t think it was better though.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Players were nowhere near as heavy as they are today and I don’t recall that many players getting injured. It was great to play but probably not so good to watch. That is probably why the game was amateur and spectators were there for the drink and craic.

Don’t think it was better though.

A lot of dangerous stuff has been removed from the game over the past 20 years, just got to get rid of these stupid barrel rolls out of a ruck and we're making more progress.