how to function in the wet

scrumpox2

Referees in England
Post Likes
Biggest problem I have as coach or ref is keeping paperwork dry ... I have one of those "waterproof" A4 weatherwriters when coaching and they're excellent but when reffing in the rain, keeping scorecards dry enough to keep updating is an issue.

What's the secret? Any tips?

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ask each coach to keep score as well and compare at the end if any problems.

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
what lizban said, and check with them at half time. I have a spare 'card' pitch side just in case mine disintegrates. Hasn't happened yet but I have had one blow away...

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Ask each coach to keep score as well and compare at the end if any problems.
While TJing recently I was asked to keep the score. For some reason the ref (the home team coach) didn't keep any score, and would ask me to shout the score out to him every now and again. It worked very well. Nobody objected and the crowd seemed to like the arrangement too. :chin:

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
Here there are score cards called write in rain. I used it in a downpour once worked great.

Cody

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Biggest problem I have as coach or ref is keeping paperwork dry ... I have one of those "waterproof" A4 weatherwriters when coaching and they're excellent but when reffing in the rain, keeping scorecards dry enough to keep updating is an issue.

What's the secret? Any tips?
As a ref, I keep two of everything close at hand. The main scorecard is in a card wallet in my right pocket; I keep a spare card wallet, scorecard and pencil in my left pocket, mainly for disciplinary use. On particularly wet days, I may need to switch so that the dry card can take over from the wet.

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
good thinking Dixie ... I have often wondered about this quandary ..
how do keep the two synchronized?

scrumpox2

Referees in England
Post Likes
Presumably they don't need to be sync'd, you simply switch from one to the other when the first is soaked?

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
www.riteintherain.com
Although a US company small notebooks should be available in UK, especially in 'military' stores. Waterproof paper designed for pencil.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Deeps - didn't you find something we could use ?

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
As a ref, I keep two of everything close at hand. The main scorecard is in a card wallet in my right pocket; I keep a spare card wallet, scorecard and pencil in my left pocket, mainly for disciplinary use. On particularly wet days, I may need to switch so that the dry card can take over from the wet.

I did that after reading about it in here. Then I loaned my secondary set to another ref at a 10's tournament. Last I saw of them then.:mad:

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
hmm. they've tried to be cute with the spelling of "write". either that or they're halfwits.

both preclude me from purchasing from them.

lookis like a good product though, so if you find from anyone who doesn't fail the above tests please let me know :)

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Deeps - didn't you find something we could use ?

Not really, we tried the bendy pencil thing but that was not successful but nothing with respect to paper.

I don't have a problem; I keep my score card in its wallet and keep the wallet in my pocket. When I need to write something in it, I turn my back on the elements and do it quickly; it doesn't need fancy gadgets just technique and a little common sense. The problem I have is keeping my fingers warm enough to grip the pencil.

gwgs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
White card and a pencil? (x2)

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
In extreme conditions I would keep my scorecard in a plastic bag until required.