"Hurdling" in the tackle

northernbloke

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Could more experienced referees than me advise on the law and best practice when a player in possession is about to be tackled legally and low and he then "hurdles" over the tackler?

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
There is nothing specifically stated in the Laws of The Game relating to hurdling/jumping over a potential tackler as far as I know just off the top of my head so happy to be corrected.
We have discussed the issue previously and I believe the general consensus was that each incident should be judged on whether it created a dangerous play issue.
To illustrate this, watch the video link from last night's Springboks v Wallabies game. The SA player hurdles the Wallabies defender at about 2:04 in the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vya7ar-z6zk

Now watch this video of Rocky Elsom of the Wallabies against Fiji.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBVO2J7ALP4

Pretty easy to see the difference.

PS:
Welcome to RugbyRefs

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
A high tackle is penalised because it is potentially dangerous, even though in most cases there is no injury.

Similary, hurdling a tackle usually poses a serious risk of a boot coming into contact with a head. As a technique it is to be deprecated. As a referee, err on the side of caution. Most cases of hurdling will look dangerous.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Agree with OB, but the elite boys don't always make it easy for us down in the weeds. The most famous incidence in the UK was probably Shane Williams on Topsy Ojo - check out at 1.04 on this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94YiGIte0BA

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Re: "Hurdling" in the tackle

- - - Updated - - -

Contrary to OB & the To3 in the SA vid [& he knows this already so no need to reopen this point] I believe that
Get hurdling right , be applauded for your agility
but...!!!!!
Get it wrong & be RC'd for committing a dangerous act, hense the deterent is sufficient for most not to even attempt it.

Hurdlers aren't intending to kick the opposition, they are trying to avoid them.

ps.... Contrast this with many 'high kick catchers' who lead with a knee/foot 'intending' to strike their opponent with it , or the no-arms tackle smashers !

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

Hurdlers aren't intending to kick the opposition, they are trying to avoid them.
They are taking an unnecessary risk (in most cases). It is a technique best unlearnt.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

- - - Updated - - -

Contrary to OB & the To3 in the SA vid [& he knows this already so no need to reopen this point] I believe that
Get hurdling right , be applauded for your agility
but...!!!!!
Get it wrong & be RC'd for committing a dangerous act, hense the deterent is sufficient for most not to even attempt it.

ps.... Contrast this with many 'high kick catchers' who lead with a knee/foot 'intending' to strike their opponent with it , or the no-arms tackle smashers !

It's dangerous whether the hurdler gets it right or wrong.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes

It's dangerous whether the hurdler gets it right or wrong.

Yet the examples of hurdling we see on vid aren't routinely penalised .... So have all those refs got it wrong? Or is the absence of contact the key determining factor?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Showbiz rugby played by very fit professional sportsmen has different levels of interpretation and "dangerous " to the amateur community game.

I expect to see any dangerous hurdling or jumping into tackles managed and where appropriate penalised by the referees I watch.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
A kick in the head by a Showbiz player on a second showbiz player will cause the same damage as if it involves players from Old Faertonians IV players.

Simon I see you comment that these players are very fit Pro sportsmen. Can you enlighten us as to the special fitness they undertake to protect their head from concussion? I don't buy your argument that their fiitness "protects" them. It is dangerous at their level just the same as mine. If such an argument was made in court It would be laughed down the street.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Showbiz rugby played by very fit professional sportsmen has different levels of interpretation and "dangerous " to the amateur community game.

I expect to see any dangerous hurdling or jumping into tackles managed and where appropriate penalised by the referees I watch.

A kick in the head by a Showbiz player on a second showbiz player will cause the same damage as if it involves players from Old Faertonians IV players.

Simon I see you comment that these players are very fit Pro sportsmen. Can you enlighten us as to the special fitness they undertake to protect their head from concussion? I don't buy your argument that their fiitness "protects" them. It is dangerous at their level just the same as mine. If such an argument was made in court It would be laughed down the street.

I multiquoted ST's comment to make exactly the point Pegleg makes here. Six studs to the side of the defensive player's head will in fact have more consequence in the pro game than the amateur, as those studs are attached to a heavier player travelling faster.

Browner asks whether the pro refs that let it slide have simply got it wrong? I offer him the evidence of pro scrum feeds, pro scrum collapses and many other facets of the pro game where Law is secondary to entertainment value, and on that evidence I think he will find his answer