I know I know LEGGINGS

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
OK.
Never bothered to read the infamous Leggings Thread, so just after a simple answer please?

Leggings AKA Long Tights.
1.Women/Girls = Legal???
2. Men/Boys = Illegal???

And yes, this is a serious question.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
:biggrin:

In short yes :wink:

However here in RFU land some apprentice decided to write in the "RFU magazine" that "youth players could wear them if it is cold" :shrug:

That said I noticed that a number of the Fiji players were wearing them in the 7's at the weekend, assuming this had something to do with the artificial surface?

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
... and a couple of US players. Those without leggings looked like mummies with all the tape on their legs.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
here in RFU-land that Touchline magazine article is long gone, and I'd be amazed if anyone outside RR.COM could still cite it.
(it's quite rare to find anyone who has ever read Touchline magazine at all!)

So I think in RFU-land it's a common sense approach,
- men and older age groups - eg U18 - illegal
- U6/U7/U8 yes, let them wear tights if they want to

in between, a common sense approach is used, how cold, how old, what level of game etc.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
So basically it's a RFU thing rather than a WR thing? Nothing in Reg 12

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Not quite
- The Laws dictate what clothes can be worn
- leggings are not listed so they can't be worn (a clarification was issued to confirm that they don't count as underwear, which can be worn)
- WR issued a policy about two years ago saying that females could wear them.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
- WR issued a policy about two years ago saying that females could wear them.
and indeed issued a Laws Book with Indian women on the cover wearing them. IIRC that was prior to the clarification - and may have driven it.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
We have been told by the Society Secretary in writing that the following interpretation applies:

"You are reminded that RFU Regulation 15.13.2 makes it clear that anyone in the age-range 6-18 may wear any base layer constructed from approved materials. Leggings and tights are permissible whatever the weather and whatever the sex. You should not request removal of such items."

I therefore obey.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
It is only a matter of time boys, the PC world will have control. Leggings will be in, probably even before a player already on the ground cannot play the ball if it alights upon him/her/it.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
i'd suggest contacting Society, NSWRU, ARU, etc

Yep.
There was a reference to "Long Skins" in a by-laws template our zone Board is thinking of adopting and I have been checking the document. I couldn't find any reference to leggings in Reg 12 so was interested to find out where they are banned.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
We have been told by the Society Secretary in writing that the following interpretation applies:

"You are reminded that RFU Regulation 15.13.2 makes it clear that anyone in the age-range 6-18 may wear any base layer constructed from approved materials. Leggings and tights are permissible whatever the weather and whatever the sex. You should not request removal of such items."

I therefore obey.

That's interesting, 15.13.2 allows players to wear "base layers"
Are leggings base layers? Shrug

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
[LAWS]Clarification 5 2006

Ruling in Law by the Designated Members of the Rugby Committee
Ruling5-2006
Union / HP Ref ManagerFFR
Law Reference4
Date14 November 2006
Request
Please provide a definition of jersey, shorts and underwear.
1. Jersey: a close fitting shirt worn on the upper half of the body which is not attached to shorts or underwear.

2. Shorts: trousers that start at the waist and end above the knees, have an elasticised waist band and/or draw string, and are not attached to the jersey or underwear.

3. Underwear: an undergarment, that covers the body from the waist, having short or no legs but does end above the knees, and worn next to the skin or under clothing, and not attached to the jersey or shorts.[/LAWS]

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
[LAWS]Clarification 4 2006

Ruling4-2006
Union / HP Ref ManagerSARU
Law Reference4
Date14 June 2006
Request
1. Players are wearing elastic ‘long sleeves’ with the mark of the manufacturer. The mark is approximately 80 sq cms. Does this garment resort under Law 4.1(a) which stipulates that ‘A player may wear supports made of elasticated or compressible materials which must be washable’?

SARU have also asked:
2. If this garment does not resort under law 4.1 (a) then Regulation 11.5.3 should apply.
1. The Designated Members have ruled that “the wearing of elastic ‘long sleeves’ is not a support as described in Law 4.1(a)”

2. Regulation 11.5.3 does apply and that “no form of emblem, mark, name, or other form of commercial and/or promotional association may be displayed on any item worn, used, placed or carried onto the playing enclosure that is not referred to in Table 1.[/LAWS]

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I ran touch for a game 2 weeks ago and a player had a legging on one leg and nothing on the other :shrug:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I ran touch for a game 2 weeks ago and a player had a legging on one leg and nothing on the other :shrug:

Well they are $150...the other half are still on lay-by!

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
OK.
Never bothered to read the infamous Leggings Thread, so just after a simple answer please?

Leggings AKA Long Tights.
1.Women/Girls = Legal???
2. Men/Boys = Illegal???

And yes, this is a serious question.

Fat..in our land Im sure long skins/ leggings could be worn by women and juniors up to u15s??

Hillbob

Post Likes
Shouldn´t it be fairly simple? since the law clearly states that players must wear shorts and there is the exception of women being allowed cotton tights with an inside seam. logical reasoning should dictate no leggings, otherwise, what would the exception for women be for?
adults: no tights/leggings