Idiot parent

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Jamie Johnson, Royston Rugby Club President, said that the incident was “extraordinary” and he had never heard of anything like it happening during a game of youth rugby.

I've heard stories of it happening but never witnessed it myself. I do know of one incident years ago where a winger was shot with an air-rifle. :sad: :wtf:

From a refereeing perspective what is the correct restart? I suppose you can't give a PT as the offence was by a spectator and not a player. Scrum I suppose.

PS. If I was a coach I'd be speaking to the players about their tackling technique. That "tackle" is a bloody shocker. No wonder they got a stuffing.

Last edited:

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
Taff!
go easy, that's a kid you are having a go at!!!

On another note, I am sitting in class working through lunch and some of the U15 rugby team have come in to revise, they have all already seen the photo (they play Fullerians) and were amazed (to be fair, they did laugh a bit too).

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Whoa ...............hold on cotton picking minute ..... How dare the watching world condemn this chap without have a legal team take up his case, after all this is rugby is it not?

The parent is called Will Horjames, and he wasnt concentrating on the game until he suddenly became aware of the players arriving at speed, he desperately tried to step back from the touchline when he simply stumbled and lost his balance, one of his feet inadvertantly projected forward as a reflex action as part of his trying to regain his balance. At no time did he intend to trip the player.

He's very remorseful.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Whoa ...............hold on cotton picking minute ..... How dare the watching world condemn this chap without have a legal team take up his case, after all this is rugby is it not?

The parent is called Will Horjames, and he wasnt concentrating on the game until he suddenly became aware of the players arriving at speed, he desperately tried to step back from the touchline when he simply stumbled and lost his balance, one of his feet inadvertantly projected forward as a reflex action as part of his trying to regain his balance. At no time did he intend to trip the player.

He's very remorseful.
Yeah, right! Standing leg absolutely solid, arms straight down. Compare that with video of Neil Kinnock trying to regain balance before falling into the sea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V58dOl84MaI

What it does clearly demonstrate is the host club's failure to rope off its pitches to maintain a safe touchline. If they'd complied with their obligations, the incident would not ahve hit the national press (it's in today's Times).

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I am horrified !

Club should be in front of CB Disciplinary for not roping off a pitch used for a Cup Final

Spectator and Club up before RFU for a 5.12 - if that photo in regional and national press doesn't put The Game into disrepute I have no idea what does ?

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I believe it was at Old Albanians.

I must admit that in previous seasons I have seen many clubs where "outer" pitches did not have boundary ropes - even if the 1st team pitch has a fixed fence. Though this season more seem to be appearing, I assume someone from HQ has sent a memo.

Camquin

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
If its OAs its not the main pitch which has fencing all round it.

didds

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Yeah, right! Standing leg absolutely solid, arms straight down. Compare that with video of Neil Kinnock trying to regain balance before falling into the sea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V58dOl84MaI

What it does clearly demonstrate is the host club's failure to rope off its pitches to maintain a safe touchline. If they'd complied with their obligations, the incident would not ahve hit the national press (it's in today's Times).
Looks like my wit went straight over your head ! Xx

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I have never seen juniors on the hallowed turf at OAs.
Last time my daughter played there season before last - for Royston as it happens - there were no ropes.

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
The clubs are quite away apart. Do they play in the same league? It must be a big trip.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

Constantine - thanks for that. Sadly it will be replicated next September across RFULand by CBs, Referee Societies, Clubs and even Coaches when the next Youth and Mini-Midi season starts over here.

Next season we plan to go a step further in Hampshire after years of RFU & CB initiatives about Ethics & Culture, Code of Conduct, Warning Cards, etc and our Chairman has drafted a full Referee Club Protocol which reflects all aspects of our engagement. Touchline behaviour is just one of many issues that need to be applied by all Clubs and all Society Referees (and in our case cascaded to the Club Referees too by highly secret emails).

The OP photo made it to the pages of the Evening Standard last night in the main (not sports) news section. I hope the whole RFU regulations book is thrown at the silly man from Fullerians.

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
When I have been made aware of this kind of behaviour I have simply asked not to referee that club. Its very effective and requires no organisation, no committees, no meetings, no processes, its a simple and effective grass roots way of dealing with the issue. So if the Herts refs individually declined to ref this team, steps would be taken and expectations clearly made about future conduct.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Constantine - thanks for that. Sadly it will be replicated next September across RFULand by CBs, Referee Societies, Clubs and even Coaches when the next Youth and Mini-Midi season starts over here.

Next season we plan to go a step further in Hampshire after years of RFU & CB initiatives about Ethics & Culture, Code of Conduct, Warning Cards, etc and our Chairman has drafted a full Referee Club Protocol which reflects all aspects of our engagement. Touchline behaviour is just one of many issues that need to be applied by all Clubs and all Society Referees (and in our case cascaded to the Club Referees too by highly secret emails).

The OP photo made it to the pages of the Evening Standard last night in the main (not sports) news section. I hope the whole RFU regulations book is thrown at the silly man from Fullerians.

If he's new to rugby, then that will be his only mitigation & then we must educate him and everyone else watching the fallout etc..... I see this as less serious than any coach who engages in dishonest activity ... And yes I am talking about Richards and his counterparts who practiced blood gate or any other skullduggery (or others for that matter)

IMO the seasoned rugbyite who does similar is deserving of a greater sanction. Scapegoating isn't necessary.

PS... A coach of one oppo team on a cold wet morning handed a 10 yr old (est..) gripless shiny rugby ball to the referee, purely to undermine our teams renowned handling skills. As a coach of kids it outranks the trippers stupidity
IMO for such gamesmanship.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I should point people to the following on Fullerians web site:

The statement agreed by Herts RFU is:

"We are aware of and dealing with a serious allegation made following an incident in a match on Sunday 27th April. Matters are under investigation and so no further comment will be made until rugby discipline investigation processes are complete to avoid prejudice to that investigation."

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
When I have been made aware of this kind of behaviour I have simply asked not to referee that club. Its very effective and requires no organisation, no committees, no meetings, no processes, its a simple and effective grass roots way of dealing with the issue.
Unles severy local referee says the same, I don't see how that is dealing with the issue.

They'll just another referee surely?