illegal binding

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
[LAWS]20.2 FRONT-ROW PLAYERS’ POSITIONS
(a) All players in a position to shove. When a scrum has formed, the body and feet of each
front row player must be in a normal position to make a forward shove.
Sanction: Free Kick[/LAWS]

[LAWS]20.3 BINDING IN THE SCRUM
(a) Binding by all front row players. All front row players must bind firmly and continuously
from the start to the finish of the scrum.
Sanction: Penalty kick

(d) Binding by tight head props. A tight head prop must bind on the opposing loose head
prop by placing the right arm outside the left upper arm of the opposing loose head prop.
The tight head prop must grip the loose head prop’s jersey with the right hand only on the
back or side. The tight head prop must not grip the chest, arm, sleeve or collar of the
opposition loose head prop. The tight head prop must not exert any downward pressure.
Sanction: Penalty kick[/LAWS]

Take your pick.

Hmm, none of those specifically penalise/prevent standing up. As a stickler for the laws as they are written Ian I'm surprised at you.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
This was debated at length quite recently. The usual stand offs and angel dancing occurred :)

didds

Hmm, none of those specifically penalise/prevent standing up. As a stickler for the laws as they are written Ian I'm surprised at you.
I think didds already answered the point.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Firstly, I'm not a "stickler for the Laws" as they are written, I'm a stickler for consistent Law interpretations between referees and following the interpretations of senior referees. When your REO or MO tells you that players "off their feet are out of the game" then that is a fact and you had better apply it!

Secondly, a player who stands up must infringe at least one of those Laws.

Referees regularly PK players at the breakdown for "taking up the space". You won't find "taking up the space" in the Law book but everyone knows what is meant by it. Similarly, "side entry", "through the gate", "tackle assist", "clean out", "breakdown" and "counter-ruck" are all further examples of terms we know and understand, but that you won't find in the Laws of the Game.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
This has been done to death.

if you want to continue this particular point can you take it back to the original thread on the subject?

Please. In the name of love. Please