[In-goal] in goal dimensions

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
My hallucinations have been diminishing, but it sure appears to me that in goal areas are getting less deep.

Smaller than 10m.

Is any one else experiencing this also?

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I've often heard moans that , in Europe, the in-goals are smaller (on average) than , say, in New Zealand or South Africa.
This is because, often, the pitches can be shared with the round-ball game (soccer).
I was told once, that this is why the laws use the word " goal line to the dead ball line will preferably be not less than 10 metres."
so as to allow rugby to be played on more pitches. I've some extreme examples where the in-goal is about 2 metres ! Must be hard to actually ground the ball when running at speed.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I've often heard moans that , in Europe, the in-goals are smaller (on average) than , say, in New Zealand or South Africa.
This is because, often, the pitches can be shared with the round-ball game (soccer).
I was told once, that this is why the laws use the word " goal line to the dead ball line will preferably be not less than 10 metres."
so as to allow rugby to be played on more pitches. I've some extreme examples where the in-goal is about 2 metres ! Must be hard to actually ground the ball when running at speed.

IME a 10m in-goal is very deep for 'social' rugby, even on what look like dedicated rugby pitches (though maybe they used to be rugby pitches).

I remember a ~2m in-goal when I was playing youth rugby - a bit of a shock when you go to run round under the posts!

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
‪I understand that down the local Rec, teams depend on Local Government investment. In Elite rugby that's simply not the case; some Premiership clubs must have a dispensation from WR, I imagine.‬

[LAWS]‪1.2‬ Required dimensions for the playing enclosure
(c). The distance from the goal line to the dead ball line will preferably be not less than 10 metres.
Unions wishing to vary minimum or maximum dimensions should apply for dispensation to World Rugby.[/LAWS]

:shrug: Does beg the question, on what ground WR allow a 5 meter in-goal in the Pro game. Elite players clattering into the advertising hoardings doesn't do much for their image of being genuinely concerned about player safety.

Post script :
Like most topics, this has been discussed at length previously on RRF

Last edited:

collybs

Referees in England
Post Likes
In English Nat 1 & 2 the following ruke applies

All pitches used for National League games must conform to the standards defined in the World Rugby Laws
section 1. These Laws do not define a minimum size for a pitch. However at the NCA AGM on 5th June 2016
the clubs agreed that the following minimum sizes should apply
o Try line to try line – 90 metres
o Touch line to touch line – 65 metres
o Try line to dead ball line – 5 metres
Artificial pitches can be used. However these must comply with World Rugby Regulation 22 and have the
appropriate and current certificate.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Thanks for that. I don't doubt that 5m in-goals are legal. Just questioning the logic behind such a decision

Recent near accident, from Australian league

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
CF the thread about offside in-goal from a poor kick.

Didds