[Law] Incorrectly taken free kick

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Rationalle the kids are learning and, even for a 13/14 year old, it could be one of their first games. So empathise and "coach". Perhaps let it go first time. At he next FK check with the kicker that they understand what to do and make them takie it again if they get it wrong. Work with Kids to help them learn the game.

I'd apply similar thought if I was reffing a mixed ability game.

The laws are a frameworked to be applied with empathy.
As the Law book says (pg 5) SPIRIT
Rugby owes much of its appeal to the fact that it is played both to the letter and within the spirit of the laws. The responsibility for ensuring that this happens lies not with one individual - it involves coaches, captains, players and referees.

An Ubder 14 game here is played to youth laws. I'd sanction it straight away. They are no longer playing a rugby varient they're playing the "proper stuff".

Are there 2 posters with the same name on this site?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Not at all. There is no inconsistency. I told you (agreeing with Flish) what he RFU position was. I would referee in Wales according to Welsh regs.

You see to have dificulty in understanding that I can state the position held by a union with does not have to be my personal position.
It should be said that if refereeing "mixed ability" rugby, there are laws that I'd be more relaxed about because of the players' disabilities. I guess it is called using common sense.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Not the left then? ie passes going off dominant right hands leftwards? Unless of course the entres awere both left handed I suppose!

:)

we tried playing him on the left wing, but he wasn't so good at curving around to score under the posts from that wing. at least that was the running joke anyway, if you'll pardon the pun.

both final passes for the tries came from our tight head prop, who was equally adept off both hands. the kid's skills were incredible (he took our kick offs too), he just did everything in ultra slow motion so sadly they normally went to waste.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Not at all. There is no inconsistency. I told you (agreeing with Flish) what he RFU position was. I would referee in Wales according to Welsh regs.

You see to have dificulty in understanding that I can state the position held by a union with does not have to be my personal position.
It should be said that if refereeing "mixed ability" rugby, there are laws that I'd be more relaxed about because of the players' disabilities. I guess it is called using common sense.

it strikes me as disingenuous that, when talking about 13 year olds, you can be an advocate for empathy & coaching & working with kids to help them learn the game ... but only if regulations require you to.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
DO we need to reduce this to one sylable words?

You refree with empathy at every level of the game. Are your trying to be awkward. You do so within the framework of the laws.

But there are areas when you have to act. THe are dictats you must obey.

You don't understand the difference between stating the position of a Union and a personal view.

WE all adopt the ATP protocol WE ASK then TELL and finaly PING. However, if in the first secods of a game a haymker was landed We would go straight to PING. NOthing "inconsistant" ther common sense. SOme thing sadly laking in VRRA it seems.