Injury After Time Expires

the magpie

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
This refers to the Aus v USA game in the pool stages.

After the 80 minutes had expired, therefore on last play, Anthony Faainga knocked himself out in attempting a tackle. The referee immediately stopped play, which was the right thing to do, as another tackle was made just next to Faainga's prone body.

What happened next is what I want to question. Both teams waited 5-10 minutes while Faainga was treated on the field, then the ref packed down a scrum, USA feed. USA won the scrum, and the scrum half kicked the ball directly into touch.

While I understand that the right decision was the give USA the opportunity to have a last attack, which they were denied by the injury, I question whether a bit of common sense was used at all. Given that USA were down by 60, and had only scored 1 try, there was nothing but pride riding on the final play. Given also that the scrum half kicked the ball directly into touch, the USA were not interested in playing on.

So my question is, should the referee have consulted both captains, and agreed to call the game up?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
So my question is, should the referee have consulted both captains, and agreed to call the game up?
No. Particularly in a RWC he should do things properly. (Whether he did, is a separate question.)

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
That is what I suspect would normally be done - common sense used.

But in RWC (and I suspect HC, PRL, etc) they stick the book, just in case some forum poster raises it is a Law non-compliance.