Interesting scrum binds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
At 3.55 in the Highlights video, Blue LH Lock slips his original correct bind. Would have been really hard to have spotted in real time from ground level.
good spot and fair enough then wrt to my concern that pre bind checks werent completed.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
blue get the PK for "not square".
Which may actually be correct (difficult to really say on just a couple of watches) but Y3 does seem to be at an angle which exascerbates blue 1's angle.

maybe!

I wonder if blue 2nd rows bind slkip was to handle the ball bacxk to his number eight as their scrum got bent due to Y3's illegal boring ?

who knows...

Last edited:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
But not difficult to see the massive gap between the two lock and the subsequent lack of a bind.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Maybe the ref was going on the "it's always the Tight Heads fault" rule of thumb? 🙄

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
and "the scrum half" is actually just "the receiver"... which could be #6. =#9 coild stand somewhere in the lineout "line" if his presence is required to draw the extra forward defender (typically) into that area ie not 10 m back ...

After I posted that question I knew someone would point out that the scrum half is not necessarily the receiver :rolleyes: but I assumed someone would understand my intention... anyway, you didn't actually answer my question, can the receiver run into that gap (ie join the lineout) and receive the ball? I can't find anything in Law 18 regarding the receiver joining the lineout.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
ISTR a million years ago there was somehting about if the "9" ran in somebody had to run out to become the reciever...
but I suspect if its still the case that requirement at this level is just ignored

along with a multitude of other stuff

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
After I posted that question I knew someone would point out that the scrum half is not necessarily the receiver :rolleyes: but I assumed someone would understand my intention... anyway, you didn't actually answer my question, can the receiver run into that gap (ie join the lineout) and receive the ball? I can't find anything in Law 18 regarding the receiver joining the lineout.

He can't join the line unless someone else drops out, i.e. swaps places. This is BEFORE the throw.

18. Participating players may change places in the lineout before the ball is thrown.

AFTER the throw he is free to join the line.

However I cannot find a law reference to that. It used to be there, but seems to have disappeared now?

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
As long as the receiver is 2m away from the LO once formed, and maintains that gap until the ball is thrown, the receiver is ok.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
He can't join the line unless someone else drops out, i.e. swaps places. This is BEFORE the throw.

18. Participating players may change places in the lineout before the ball is thrown.

AFTER the throw he is free to join the line.

However I cannot find a law reference to that. It used to be there, but seems to have disappeared now?
The law was 19.8i In 2017.