IRB approves trial for Rugby Goggles

Wolrabs

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes
Hi,

So is the IRB trial for any age group? And the RFU email pertains to U13's and below?

What does the IRB Mark look like?

I reffed an U15 game where one of the captains tried to wear a pair of spectacles. As he walked off the pitch to remove them, one of his team said that he should have brought his goggles. I said that he wouldn't be allowed to wear those either. Quoted the relevant regulation and all.

Is this going to cause confusion with refs not knowing about the trial. I certainly surprised me.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Hi,

So is the IRB trial for any age group? And the RFU email pertains to U13's and below?

What does the IRB Mark look like?

I reffed an U15 game where one of the captains tried to wear a pair of spectacles. As he walked off the pitch to remove them, one of his team said that he should have brought his goggles. I said that he wouldn't be allowed to wear those either. Quoted the relevant regulation and all.

Is this going to cause confusion with refs not knowing about the trial. I certainly surprised me.

:wtf:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
did by any chance "Last week's ref allowed me to wear them?"

??

Yeah, right!

didds

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I'm staggered you needed to tell him.

Has he worn them before?

Who refereed that game?

Does he train in them?

Who's coaching him?

It sounds unbelieveable - I fact, I don't believe you - there see told you! :biggrin:

Wolrabs

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes
The IRB say for every level of rugby but the RFU say for U13's and below.....So which one has precedence or will there be squabbles on the pitch?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The IRB say for every level of rugby but the RFU say for U13's and below.....So which one has precedence or will there be squabbles on the pitch?

RFU (or any other 'home union') has precedence under their delegated powers to pro-actively adopt local variations from the IRB global position, in implementation of such guidelines / advisory situations where trials are involved.

Wolrabs

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes
So as the RFU guidelines /regulations take precedence over the IRB ones, then U13 and below are fine to wear the goggles, but U14 and above aren't.

Is this right? It makes sense in my head.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
No, I think anyone is allowed to wear the IRB goggles as long as they are the correct ones and registered through the manufacturer. I think additionally in England U13 and below can wear a wider range of goggles (as approved by the RFU)

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I had my first genuine rugby goggle sighting, no injuries or malfunctions to report.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I wonder if they make your team mates appear better than they really are?

beergoggles.jpg

Also not too sure about the binding by the Green hooker

Last edited:

john g

Referees in England
Post Likes
No, I think anyone is allowed to wear the IRB goggles as long as they are the correct ones and registered through the manufacturer. I think additionally in England U13 and below can wear a wider range of goggles (as approved by the RFU)

So it's only people who are participants in the trial,you have to participate in the trial to purchase the goggles. Sorted.
Question. How long is the trial going on

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

No.

RFU Regulations are that no one can wear goggles
The RFU trial is a variation on the regs that allows U13 and below to wear the IRB approved goggles this seson and next

http://www.rfu.com/takingpart/playerhealth/faqs

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
No.

RFU Regulations are that no one can wear goggles
The RFU trial is a variation on the regs that allows U13 and below to wear the IRB approved goggles this seson and next

http://www.rfu.com/takingpart/playerhealth/faqs
the iRB initiative post-dates the RFU one. It is not at all clear that the RFU position is as stated by Crossref, nor that the RFU can trump the iRB trial. This from the iRB website:

The IRB has developed a Global Law Trial to field test the Rugby Goggles’ design and obtain data for the purposes of developing a Rugby Goggles specification. The purpose of the field test is (i) to ensure that the Rugby Goggles perform as designed, namely that they provide players with a means of wearing corrective lenses safely during contact Rugby; (ii) to ascertain the suitability of the design for ease of use; and (iii) to ascertain if further specific field or laboratory tests are required.

The use of the Rugby Goggles is permitted in any game of Rugby. Any player who considers the risks inherent in playing with or against someone wearing the Rugby Goggles to be outside of acceptable levels of risk is free to choose not to participate in the game however the use of the Rugby Goggles is not grounds for preventing the wearer from playing in the game.

The success or otherwise of the Global Law Trial will determine whether Rugby Goggles will be permitted to be worn beyond the trial period and enable the IRB to provide a Rugby Goggles Specification. It is therefore essential that the IRB receives feedback from all those who elect to become part of the trial by purchasing and using a pair of the Rugby Goggles.

A global law trial would suggest to me that no individual Union can prevent its players from taking part. What sort of a global trial wouild it be if England, South Africa, France and NZ refused to let their players take part?