IRB approves trial for Rugby Goggles

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
hmm. I thought the RFU email that went out specifically referenced the IRB trial.
perhaps I have become confused !

but don't see it as unreasonable that each local Union might have to think about local health and safety laws/regualtions/environment before proceeding with the trial ?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
hmm. I thought the RFU email that went out specifically referenced the IRB trial.
perhaps I have become confused !

but don't see it as unreasonable that each local Union might have to think about local health and safety laws/regualtions/environment before proceeding with the trial ?
Crossref, the iRB trial is of just one style of goggles only available from the iRB, and not available at retail in any country of the world. The RFU trial, by contrast, permits players to wear any style of sports goggles upon the advice of their dispensing optician. The two trials are totally separate, and the iRB has not specifically sanctioned the RFU one - but nor does it have to.

As to H&S law - I doubt that H&S law in any country goes to such depth of detail that it would have something specific to say about the wearing of sports goggles in a contact sport when those goggles have been approved (whether on a trial basis or otherwise) by the sport's global governing body. Admittedly, the iRB's suggestion that a match official may not prevent the wearer from wearing the goggles may find itself in conflict with the broad obligations placed on people not to allow anything they themselves consider dangerous ... but these are the broad provisions relied on by the loony brigade to prevent cake stalls and bar-b-q at the village fete.

Wolrabs

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes
Hi.

So what does the IRB mark look like? Is it just their logo printed on the goggles? If a player turns up with the goggles, do they need to produce a confirmation from the IRB that they are on the trial, or is the letter from the Opthamologist sufficient?

Is there anywhere that has a list of participants that can be checked to ensure that the bearer of the letter match up? Will this be a requirement for the ref to check prior to the game? Or will it be at the Brief?

What if the player doesn't wear them until after the brief and turns up on the pitch with them?

If the players aren't part of the trial and they are U14 and above then they have to remove them?

Wow, lots to think about.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I did not. I didn't check for IRB logos on all the shock tops and scrum caps either.

All that other padding is common, goggles are new and th4 rare, you're the first to post that you've come across them.

I'm untroubled by your choice to permit, was just wondering whether you'd tested the robustness of the trial system.

Did you simply recognise the Goggles as being Raleri ? or other?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Hi.

So what does the IRB mark look like? Is it just their logo printed on the goggles? If a player turns up with the goggles, do they need to produce a confirmation from the IRB that they are on the trial, or is the letter from the Opthamologist sufficient?

Is there anywhere that has a list of participants that can be checked to ensure that the bearer of the letter match up? Will this be a requirement for the ref to check prior to the game? Or will it be at the Brief?

What if the player doesn't wear them until after the brief and turns up on the pitch with them?

If the players aren't part of the trial and they are U14 and above then they have to remove them?

Wow, lots to think about.

The onus in both sets of trials is for the wearer to demonstrate a) need and b) trial registration.
This means any bonafide wearer ( or parent) will have gone through a process of establishing what they need to do to qualify.
It is therefore entirely reasonable to expect them to have the letters with them, which in turn protects us.
So ... No Letter= no play ......surely ?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hi.

So what does the IRB mark look like? Is it just their logo printed on the goggles?
If you look at the photo appearing on about p.4 of this thread, I suspect that below the left eyepiece it says: "iRB trial approved".

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
This in an email from the RFU in response to a question posed in the light of Crossref's posts:

RFU said:
I appreciate that it must be confusing given the two different trials.

The RFU trial is different from the IRB trial. The RFU chose to not adopt the IRB trial because the advice of the Association of British Dispensing Opticians was that the goggles were not appropriate and they would be advising their opticians to not dispense the goggles. The RFU therefore decided that we could not adopt a trial when practically speaking, parents and players could not get hold of the goggles. This means that because the RFU has not adopted the IRB trial, no player in England is able to purchase the IRB goggles. The IRB trial is therefore not available to players in England.

However, working alongside ABDO, the RFU and ABDO has developed an alternative trial which does permit a wider range of goggles subject to certain conditions. Rather the limit the trial to one manufacturer’s goggles, the RFU’s approach is to leave that assessment and decision to the dispensing opticians who will prescribe a goggle that suits the needs and features of the child.

The main distinction between the two trials is that the RFU trial only applies to U13s and below at this stage. Whilst this is a positive development for u13s and below, we appreciate that it is not helpful for u14s and above, who are still prohibited to wear sports goggles in England. From a visual/optical perspective, it is not recommended for contact lenses to be prescribed to children under 12 years of age whereas u14s and above are more likely to be able to wear lenses and therefore have a few more options available. However, I appreciate that this does not cover off players who may need to wear goggles to protect a good eye.

The principle reason for not permitting goggles from u14s upwards is because the game becomes more intense, physical and escalates in terms of contact elements from this age therefore the safety implications and considerations are increased. We will continue to monitor the situation and in addition, we will be carrying out trials of a number of goggles in a controlled environment so it could be that the trial expands further in due course, and perhaps in advance of next season.

Please rest assured that we continue to work on this matter recognising that some children are still prevented from played and we hope to update the game further as soon as anything changes.

The iRB statement does state that a Union will have to participate in the trial before its players can use the goggles, but in light of that it is perhaops disingenuous to describe it as a Global Trial.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
interesting -- and it does show the practical difficulties in rolling out a global trial in different jurisdictions. British OPtician obviously have a different set of standards from some other countries. (and it would be surprsing if there aren't other countries with the same view)

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Rather ironic the picture was taken during a wet game....anyone not know rugby would think the backs wear goggles when it's wet to stop water getting in their eyes (and comb in left pocket). :pepper:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

You didn't read the whole article did you? :nono::nono::nono:

But the rules are different across the UK.

In Scotland children can play rugby while wearing goggles, and the Rugby Football Union in England started a trial of the eyewear last season when it received complaints after introducing a ban on them.

World Rugby, the game's global governing body, has been running a separate trial of goggles for players with sight problems at all levels of the game.

But the IRFU decided not to take part in the tests.