IRL v FRA - Home Broadcaster Advantage?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I haven't watched it back to be sure, but my memory of events is that WB made the final decision based on the clips that were shown to him... the TMO may have seen that last clip, but it definitely was not shown to WB, and therefore was not considered when he made his decision whether to award the try. As suggested by the OP, I think WB may have made a different decision if he had seen this last angle.

I'm not sure you can state that.
What you see on TV and what the ref sees on the big screen in the stadium may not be the same thing.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I'm not sure you can state that.
What you see on TV and what the ref sees on the big screen in the stadium may not be the same thing.
I've just watched it again... WB is giving constant commentary of what he is seeing on the replay being shown to him, and his words all perfectly match the replay shown on TV, so it seems unlikely that he was watching something different while accurately describing what we were seeing on the TV.

The contentious clip was shown on TV a few seconds before the restart kick. I have no idea if it was ever shown on the big screens.

Last edited:

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I've just watched it again... WB is giving constant commentary of what he is seeing on the replay being shown to him, and his words all perfectly match the replay shown on TV, so it seems unlikely that he was watching something different while accurately describing what we were seeing on the TV.

The contentious clip was shown on TV a few seconds before the restart kick. I have no idea if it was ever shown on the big screens.
Given the Lowe was seen grimacing, one must deduce that he saw it somewhere within the stadium.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

The broadcaster sends their pictures to live TV.
They also make them "available" to the host club to display on the big screen.
Most of the time the host club will show the live tv picture, but where unasked for replays are being shown of an incident some clubs have been known to put an advert up rather than the live feed.
It would be very foolish however for a club to display anything except the live feed when a TMO review is underway, as they would be in trouble with the competition organiser, but it has been known to happen.
The TMO will see the live feed (as well as all the other camera feeds), but wont know what the ref is seeing on the big screens as that is controlled by the club. He will assume that the ref is seeing the live feed, but wont know for sure.

I'm not saying that is necessarily what happened here, just correcting your blanket statement that what the TMO sees is what the ref sees.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I haven't watched it back to be sure, but my memory of events is that WB made the final decision based on the clips that were shown to him... the TMO may have seen that last clip, but it definitely was not shown to WB, and therefore was not considered when he made his decision whether to award the try. As suggested by the OP, I think WB may have made a different decision if he had seen this last angle.
I'm not saying that is necessarily what happened here, just correcting your blanket statement that what the TMO sees is what the ref sees.

I didn't say that what the TMO sees is what the ref sees, quite the opposite.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Has learning occurred?

Glaws v Quins - 57 mins ish game clock - LRZ try or no try? Very quickly refer to long shot with clear view, no try toes in touch. 👏👏
And… it was at the expense of the home team! And on the same day we saw a crooked feed into the scrum pulled up (Saints v Sharks). Will wonders never cease?

We should mark this date - I doubt we’ll see one like it again ;)