[Line out] Is double-banking back?

timmad

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Watching the restart of Premiership rugby it looks as though teams have found a way of introducing double-banking at line-outs which allows them to set up driving mauls more effectively.

The usual barn dance of dummy jumpers, switching position, etc. takes place before the ball is thrown. But, with referees being advised to require the dancers to move to the outside of the line and to deter players from moving into the gap, this appears to allow players to hover rather rejoin a single line. The pack forms two banks ideal for setting up the maul.

Is this legal?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Watching the restart of Premiership rugby it looks as though teams have found a way of introducing double-banking at line-outs which allows them to set up driving mauls more effectively.

The usual barn dance of dummy jumpers, switching position, etc. takes place before the ball is thrown. Bbut, with referees being advised to require the dancers to move to the outside of the line and to deter players from moving into the gap, this appears to allow players to hover rather rejoin a single line. The pack forms two banks ideal for setting up the maul.

Is this legal?

good spot
i also thought I detected the ball being passed to the rear bank, slightly before the maul is formed -- ie obstruction by the front bank

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Presumably we will see next weekend whether the referees and their assessors/coaches have decided to penalise this (and have told the coaches).

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Presumably we will see next weekend whether the referees and their assessors/coaches have decided to penalise this (and have told the coaches).

and the question is why didnt they penalsie it this weekend gone?

didds

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

The usual barn dance of dummy jumpers, switching position, etc. takes place before the ball is thrown. But, with referees being advised to require the dancers to move to the outside of the line and to deter players from moving into the gap, this appears to allow players to hover rather rejoin a single line. The pack forms two banks ideal for setting up the maul.

Is this legal?

I don't believe it is, especially if the catcher hands the ball back to the second bank before his feet touch the ground. This denies the opponents any opportunity prevent a maul being formed as that are forbidden by Law to touch that catcher while he still has the ball.

In any case where the catcher hands the ball back while his feet are still off the ground, he should be PK for obstruction.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I don't believe it is, especially if the catcher hands the ball back to the second bank before his feet touch the ground. This denies the opponents any opportunity prevent a maul being formed as that are forbidden by Law to touch that catcher while he still has the ball.

In any case where the catcher hands the ball back while his feet are still off the ground, he should be PK for obstruction.
If the player simply passes the ball back to the scrum half from the top of his jump, I do not see a problem. The lineout is then over so everybody has to readjust.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If the player simply passes the ball back to the scrum half from the top of his jump, I do not see a problem. The lineout is then over so everybody has to readjust.

Yes, but that is not what I am talking about... this is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCkSc02xj7Y

(of course, this is from 2010 so the Law numbers have changed, nonetheless, what they are showing here is still illegal

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I can't understand why this is not spotted more at the elite level.

If I can spot a support player stepping into the gap and pulling the jumper into him, then so can an AR - who has moved to the side and is "looking low"

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
the lifter-steps-nto-the-gap-after-the-catch thing I was coaching back in 2003 at level 9! Before it was "widespread". Id bloody hope its gets pinged almost 20 years later!

Didds

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Except in some cases its not a PK. see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU7lN8O3LKM
Hmmm...
I wonder of refs are being hyper-aware of the accidental offside scenario ( with uncontested mauls ) that they wait for a couple seconds to see what develops before allowing play-on ?
Not sure, to be honest.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Except in some cases its not a PK. see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU7lN8O3LKM
Hmmm...
I wonder of refs are being hyper-aware of the accidental offside scenario ( with uncontested mauls ) that they wait for a couple seconds to see what develops before allowing play-on ?
Not sure, to be honest.

Supporters blocking the jumper off is totally different to the non-forming of a maul. This is always a PK offence.