Is the ball out?

Norfolk_Ref

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Hi Guys,

A colleague mentioned a document from ARU (I think) that has a run down on lots of scenarios and whether the ball is in or out when it crosses the line of touch? Does anyone know this document/report and do you have link?

Regards

Lewis

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Thanx for the link, OB. Great booklet.

One scenario I didn't see:

Player leaps from touch, catches ball in the air and lands with both feet in the field of play. In or out? I say "Play on, ball not in touch".

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

Player leaps from touch, catches ball in the air and lands with both feet in the field of play. In or out? I say "Play on, ball not in touch".
If the ball has not crossed the plane of touch, play on.

If it has crossed, it is in touch because the player was in touch when he caught it..

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Thanx for the link, OB. Great booklet.

For me, when I have ARs (and perhaps TJs that I'm confident with) it's this...
If the ball has not crossed the plane of touch, play on.

If it has crossed, it is in touch because the player was in touch when he caught it..

When I don't, and unless it's clear and obvious crossed the plane to me as the ref then it's 'play on'.

Last edited:

KieranW

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Funnily enough, I had a situation exactly like 'Player & ball outside plane of touch - Scenerio 2'. I called it correctly at the time, to the annoyance of the player who insisted "there was nothing wrong with that!"

He was getting on my nerves, so I wish I could send him this now!

chrismtl

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Here's a presentation from my local union. Uses the same pics and info as the Brumbies document, but has a bit more info written in and the law references are written in the document. Just click on "La Touche - The Lineout" > "Presentation - Refereeing The Lineout"
http://rugbyquebec.com/index.asp?id=770

Gracie

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Am I right in thinking that in this scenario if the player had touched / patted the ball back into play rather than caught it then it would be play on?