Is the drop-kick dead?

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
As far as I can tell, most goal line drop-outs, restarts and even "drop goal" attempts are actually kicked before the ball strikes the ground, that is punted.
Do we care?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
As far as I can tell, most goal line drop-outs, restarts and even "drop goal" attempts are actually kicked before the ball strikes the ground, that is punted.
Do we care?
Sure?

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I am not sure, as the games I watch don't have instant TMO replays,

But when you are talking to the opposition coach, and he agrees his side just punted a drop out and says they don't like it, but the referees told them it was OK, you do wonder.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Just in your area? The only time that I see it, and probably allow them to get away with it in the interest of continuity, is in women's matches, particularly university, where they have just taken up the game a few weeks ago.

Mipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Do we care?
Most?

That is definitely not my experience, and yes, I care 🙂

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I am happy to be wrong on this occasion.

So, has anyone blown for a punted drop-kick, or not awarded the 'goal'?

I would say, it was irrelevant whether blue punted in this specific case, red caught it and ran in a try anyway.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Are y
Just in your area? The only time that I see it, and probably allow them to get away with it in the interest of continuity, is in women's matches, particularly university, where they have just taken up the game a few weeks ago.
I would definitely pull them up on that, but if a complete beginner would likely just make them take it again, on the grounds that the game didn't properly restart yet

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Not my experience. Other than as said, beginner level where you are "coaching" a lot.

Last edited:

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
If I see it I will pull the player up. As per @crossref, if a young youth team or very inexperienced as per their coaches I would consider giving them a second chance.

That said, some days the kickers just have a shocker and it’s almost painful. One match, the guy sliced pretty much every restart and didn’t even make 10m or put it out on the full.