[Law] Is this material

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
North Devon Journal have an article on Barstaple's opponents in the play-off Tonbridge Juddanians.

I was drawn to this picture

Juddians3.jpg

Try red or penalty green?

Dan_A

Player or Coach
Post Likes
For my money it's impossible to tell from a still picture. For example the green player could have deliberately put his right arm across the supporting player in the seconds before this picture was taken, with red just 'shrugging him off'.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
North Devon Journal have an article on Barstaple's opponents in the play-off Tonbridge Juddanians.

I was drawn to this picture

attachment.php

Try red or penalty green?
A good example of why it can be impossible to tell from a still photo.

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
For all we know, green has initiated contact to ensure red cannot offload to his support player, and red is just trying to push the green player off him so he can back up the ball runner. A photo of a moment in time cannot be used to judge this incident.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Forget material, it's impossible to tell if it's even an offence from this picture!

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Concur with comments above it is impossible to offer a verdict.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
I agree with OB..s point that from a still photo we cannot decide.
However it is worth bearing in mind that Green is perfectly entitled to continue running his line. It seems Red is trying to go wide in support of the ball carrier, Green has no obligation to get out of his way. not that I am aware of anyway. Red on the other hand cannot push him out of the way, since it is against the LoTG to push an opponent off the ball
[laws]10.1 Obstruction
(a) Charging or pushing. When a player and an opponent are running for the ball, either player must not charge or push the other except shoulder-to-shoulder.
Sanction: Penalty kick[/laws]the depth of field can be deceptive, but if an attacker was to obstruct a would be tackler, you could disallow the try and come back for penalty to Green. Right?

Last edited: