Italian Penalty Goal

the magpie

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Seeing how both assistant referees missed the ball passing over the crossbar in the Aus/Italy, the question I want to pose is where do you stand for kicks at goal.

Generally I stand next to the post, so that I can make a call on the crossbar and any close calls on the upright. I might stand a couple of steps back if the kick is being taken from relatively in front.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I like to stand back because I prefer to track the flight of the ball. For conversions, if it is then falling short I come in to observe whether it crosses the bar.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Where the good book tells me to stand. Adjacent to the upright.

On a side note, the faulty comms gear and the number of Italian players receiving medical attention for injuries threatened to make this the longest most drawn out game in rugby history.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Where the good book tells me to stand. Adjacent to the upright.

Law 6.B.4 [...]When judging a kick at goal the touch judges or assistant referees stand in in-goal behind the goal posts.
It does not say how far behind.

Standard practice is as ddjamo and Dixie say.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Are we talking ref or TJ?

Ref, behind the kicker in line with the centre of the posts, chase it up to check the crossbar.

TJ, as ddjamo said, near side close, far side back.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Seeing how both assistant referees missed the ball passing over the crossbar in the Aus/Italy, the question I want to pose is where do you stand for kicks at goal.
I haven't seen the game, but if there was doubt couldn't the ref have asked the TMO?

6.A.6 gives him the authority.

6.A.6 REFEREE CONSULTING WITH OTHERS
(b) A match organiser may appoint an official who uses technological devices. If the referee is unsure when making a decision in in-goal involving a try being scored or a touch down, that official may be consulted. .... The official may be consulted in relation to the success or otherwise of kicks at goal.

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I haven't seen the game, but if there was doubt couldn't the ref have asked the TMO?

He did.

I saw the game yesterday, and this incident really intrigued me. I dont think it was a question of positioning of the ARs (they werent against the post, but maybe no more than 1m behind it), and I dont think the sun had anything to do with it.

It honestly looked like the AR was having a conversation with his counterpart as the ball went over. Or, at the very least, WASNT looking up to track the flight of the ball, but instead had his head tilted to the side, looking at the other post at head level. I dont know what the heck he was looking it, but it sure as feck wasnt the ball.

To make matters worse, the comms failed, so we had a situation of Christophe talking in English and saying "Geoff, can you hear me" again and again, at which point the Italian production lady interfered and was rummaging around down the back of his shirt (she was actually in good nick), got the comms back up and running, and the TMO made the correct decision.

All rather embarassing, but in the end the correct decision was made.