ITM 'tackle'

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZXUimMQ2Fg

Terrible technique here. Lucky to just get a YC IMO.

That's not terrible technique Drift, that's no bloody technique at all. His foul play broke the ball carrier's collarbone. Very close to RC for mine!

Magpies scored three tries while he was in the bin so it cost them, but the Magpies key playmaking No. 8 is now gone for the season.

I see Fifita hasn't been cited, but IMO he should have been.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I know you can't shoulder charge an opponent, but can someone please point out the law that requires the "tackler" to grasp the BC?

I've had a quick squint for it, but can't find it.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
This is the wide side of the ....Wedge...., the gradual chipping away at acceptability levels by the 'bash & smash brigade' are ruining this code

:deadhorse:

Entertainment ? ...... Better seen inside a WWF ring.

Crucifix removed from its red silk lined box !
Victorian-cross-beautiful-elaborated-neo-Etruscan-gold-crucifix-from-Italy-09343-0188.p02.jpg

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I know you can't shoulder charge an opponent, but can someone please point out the law that requires the "tackler" to grasp the BC?

10.4(g)
[LAWS]Dangerous charging.
A player must not charge or knock down an opponent carrying the ball without trying to grasp that player.[/LAWS]

Last edited by a moderator:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3

Sorry, but that is quite worrying.

"DEFINITIONS
A tackle occurs when the ball carrier is held by one or more opponents and is brought to ground."

How can you hold something without grasping it?

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes

10.4(g) Taff

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
10.4(g) Taff
Thanks gents. I knew it was there somewhere but was looking in the Tackle section instead of the Foul Play section.

Sorry, but that is quite worrying. "DEFINITIONS
A tackle occurs when the ball carrier is held by one or more opponents and is brought to ground."
How can you hold something without grasping it?
Obviously you can't hold something without grasping it ("Not held. Play on") but what I couldn't find was where it said a player had to try and grasp the BC ie what exact part of the lawbook made it a PK offence.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Sorry I answered your question namely: "...can someone please point out the law that requires the "tackler" to grasp the BC?"

The law requires it because there is no tackle unless you do.

To move on to you secondary question: There is only a problem if instead you transgress 10.4 (g). Since there is no tackle you have to look elsewhere to deal with a non tackle situation.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I answered your question namely: "...can someone please point out the law that requires the "tackler" to grasp the BC?"

The law requires it because there is no tackle unless you do.

To move on to you secondary question: There is only a problem if instead you transgress 10.4 (g). Since there is no tackle you have to look elsewhere to deal with a non tackle situation.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Thanks gents. I knew it was there somewhere but was looking in the Tackle section instead of the Foul Play section.

Obviously you can't hold something without grasping it ("Not held. Play on") but what I couldn't find was where it said a player had to try and grasp the BC ie what exact part of the lawbook made it a PK offence.

[LAWS]

Dangerous charging. A player must not charge or knock down an opponent carrying the ball without trying to grasp that player.[/LAWS]

10.4(g) Law as written , suggests that you can escape a shoulder charge sanction if you 'tried' to grasp the player, so I suggest a better Law might say .....

[LAWS]

Dangerous charging. A player must not charge an opponent carrying the ball without grasping that player with both hands.[/LAWS]

I'd suggest 'one handed' grasp within a charging context isn't a Bonafide tackle attempt.