Jonathan Sexton to face probe over "play acting"

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
During France v Scotland, Alex Dunbar received a YC for a dump tackle that was reviewed on the screen and determined to cross the line for a lift tackle, with Sexton's legs above his waist. It was a marginal case as there was not much of a lift (if any).

It is now reported that JS is to face investigation for "Simulation", which would have to fall under 10.4(m) - acts contrary to good sportsmanship.

I personally doubt that even if proved, JS could have been sent off for this, so it doesn't obviously come within the Citing Commissioner's remit. Can anyone think how else the investigation might be launched, and whether there might be any sanction if it finds JS to have been excessively thespian?

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
It is now reported that JS is to face investigation for "Simulation", which would have to fall under 10.4(m) - acts contrary to good sportsmanship.

Damn right, too! I was spitting blood when I saw this!

The worst (from his point of view) I'd expect would be a code of conduct hearing (and the 6 nations committee wanting to compensate for the Marler issue) - I agree that I really can't see a citing committee doing much.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't think that the new Law on play acting applies in the Northern Hemisphere yet, does it ? It's part of the 2016 Law book that applies (for us) next season.

But the sexton incident is another good example of why the Law wasn't thought through

On the one hand he did play-act (he landed on his shoulder, wide-armed appeal to the ref, then belatedly held his head, pretending it was worse than it was) BUT on the other hand, an act of foul play did take place! There was a YC for it ! So he WASN'T causing the ref to believe in an imaginary incident. it was was a real piece of foul play, a cardable one, So presumably he's not guilty.

The counter-example of why this Law is troublesome is the Ireland players who complained about Mike Brown's use of the boot. In that case the TMO and Ref concluded that no offence had taken place - so the Irish players seem to be guilty of trying to convince the ref that they had been subject to an act of foul play when they hadn't been. In this case they weren't (IMO) play acting, but seem to be guilty.

Last edited:

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't think that the new Law on play acting applies in the Northern Hemisphere yet, does it ? It's part of the 2016 Law book that applies (for us) next season.

It should still be caught under 10.4(m). In fact, I don't see why the new law is needed (badly written as it is) since it's already covered.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I'm glad he's being pulled up on it; this isn't the first time he's done something like that.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It should still be caught under 10.4(m). In fact, I don't see why the new law is needed (badly written as it is) since it's already covered.

I agree, because I think the new Law potentially makes this harder to deal with, for the reasons demonstrated in the examples.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm glad he's being pulled up on it; this isn't the first time he's done something like that.

they will probably conclude that he did it in the 'heat of the moment' ...

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
In the world cup, Stuart Hogg was warned by Nigel Owens for excessive reaction to a late hit. Owens threatened a red card for that sort of thing.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
they will probably conclude that he did it in the 'heat of the moment' ...
Not much of an excuse though is it?

It's an international and emotions will obviously run high, but even so there are some things I hate seeing rugby players do ... and imitating football players is one of them. :knuppel2:

In the world cup, Stuart Hogg was warned by Nigel Owens for excessive reaction to a late hit. Owens threatened a red card for that sort of thing.
Quite right too. From memory, NO was praised for it at the time. I reckon Sexton was lucky NO wasn't reffing the Irish game.

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

....while of course, his actions in no way absolve the plonker who flipped him out of the tackle and parked him shoulder first on the ground (and was quite rightly YC). Lets not lose sight how just how dangerous that was!

I don't regard what Sexton did as "play-acting", at least not in the same way that a soccer player goes down at the slightest touch like he's been shot....

200.gif
201.gif
202.gif
204.gif

and my all time favourite (yes, I know it s joke goal celebration)....

203.gif

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I suspect that there are two paths that may be pursued.

One is 10.4.m.
The other is a catch all under Reg 18 - essentially, bringing the game into disrepute. It affords a much greater degree of latitude for a potential disciplinary hearing.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I suspect that there are two paths that may be pursued.One is 10.4.m.The other is a catch all under Reg 18 - essentially, bringing the game into disrepute. It affords a much greater degree of latitude for a potential disciplinary hearing.

I have seen far worse incidents of bringing the game into disrepute and nothing done, so I wouldn't be too hopeful.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Owen Slot in today's Times
Watch that segment of the game again, though. Before the tackle by Alex Dunbar, he did receive a clear knee to the head. The illegal tackle followed. So no — there was no simulation there. Just a courageous player once again at the receiving end in a very physical game.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am not sure I buy that, I think he was play-acting a bit, but I think it would be extremely harsh to sanction Sexton for that incident.

I am sure they are waiting for a good example for some play-acting to punish, but it needs to be an occasion when nothing had actually occured : a true pretend dive from nothing at all. In this incident Sexton WAS indeed the victim of foul play serious/dangerous enough to earn a YC.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
On the one hand he did play-act (he landed on his shoulder, wide-armed appeal to the ref, then belatedly held his head, pretending it was worse than it was)

Another thing to keep in mind is that just because a player exhibits a delay between getting injured and showing signs of the injury does not mean he is faking it. There was good example of this in Super Rugby this weekend when a player injured his shoulder in the act of scoring a try. Everything seemed OK until he was walking back towards halfway when he realised he was injured.

In an extreme version of that, a friend of mine was once involved in a serious motorcycle accident. He walked from the scene for about 200m to a farmhouse to get help, and promptly collapsed on the doorstep. The ambulance staff found him to have a broken leg and several broken ribs as well as other injuries I can't recall.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
I didnt like what Sexton did, it looked very bad. That said he did take a knee to the head just before that so that ironically may be his saving grace.

its a tough one to call and id say that he gets a stern talking to, they might also tell him to shut it during a game as well.