Jumping over the tackle again

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
why do you say that? Clarification seems clear & unambiguous to me. Am I missing something?
They didn't actually answer Q2 .. was Johnny May legal ? They just give the framework for the decision and invite you to make your own mind up

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
They didn't actually answer Q2 .. was Johnny May legal ? They just give the framework for the decision and invite you to make your own mind up
Yeah OK. I think the conclusion is that, if the next point of contact is the ball with the in-goal, then play on. But that's just my view

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yeah OK. I think the conclusion is that, if the next point of contact is the ball with the in-goal, then play on. But that's just my view
I think it's legal, but then I look again at how close his boot is to the tacklers head and ...

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Perhaps WR will take on Tom Daley as an adviser?

Balones

Post Likes
I think they didn’t answer Q2 because even they don’t know and can’t decide.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think they didn’t answer Q2 because even they don’t know and can’t decide.
maybe it's better to explain the principles and framework, rather than a sinlge decision and have everyone extrapolate what the principles and framework must be.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
fair point and I concur.

Until one day there is a dispute over whether the ball was grounded in-goal or just outside. Goes to TMKO etc. decision is no-try, grounded just short. does that make the action njow a PK and possible card just because of a blade or two of whitewashed grass ?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think that's an important factor, but not the only factor -- hence they cannot say unequivocally that May was legal

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So if a ball carrier steps/jumps over a prone player who is not attempting to tackle, that is OK?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Does it apply to ARs too?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1646257007563.jpg
    FB_IMG_1646257007563.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 5

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Cool. So jumping over a tackler is illegal for 90m of the park, but legal within the last 5m? Talk about making the waters muddied with a clarification, but I guess that's pretty normal with WR documents.

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Cool. So jumping over a tackler is illegal for 90m of the park, but legal within the last 5m? Talk about making the waters muddied with a clarification, but I guess that's pretty normal with WR documents.
No, jumping over a tackle is illegal in the first 90 or last 5m of the park. Diving for a try isn't. The only thing a ref needs to distuinguish is a jump/hurdle from a dive. I reckon I can do that.

Balones

Post Likes
I’m just happy that I can carry on advising referees to do what I have been doing for the last fifty years!

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
This is one of those topics where people (in general, not particularly this community) can become blinkered, IMHO... I've seen on Twitter and other forums, people making statements that the law does not directly address hurdling a tackle, or cite examples when a penalty was not awarded, therefore they argue that hurdling a tackle must be allowed, at least in some instances (i.e. when a penalty has not been awarded). The fact that a penalty has not been awarded does not necessarily make it a legal action, the same way a forward pass does not become legal because there is an example when a ref did not blow for a scrum.