Just what the forum is for!

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
A first time for everything! I had laughed about the occasional lists about "try's" scored on the 5 metre line. It happened today, me caught up and concentrating on the rolling mail, award the try with huge, cheerful blast. Only a moment before the defending team draw my attention to the fact that the player had dived over the 5 metre line in the act of "scoring"!

As quick as a flash my arm goes out, "sorry lads, wrong line, we will have a scrum". Scrum to black in the next breath.......

All down to the forum if I hadn't been mugging up on here about different scenarios I dread to think what I might have awarded or done.........thank you a million times.....made me look very seasoned! calm and professional.......wonder if the World Cup scouts were watching?

?

Stuartg

Referees in England
Post Likes
A first time for everything! I had laughed about the occasional lists about "try's" scored on the 5 metre line. It happened today, me caught up and concentrating on the rolling mail, award the try with huge, cheerful blast. Only a moment before the defending team draw my attention to the fact that the player had dived over the 5 metre line in the act of "scoring"!

As quick as a flash my arm goes out, "sorry lads, wrong line, we will have a scrum". Scrum to black in the next breath.......

All down to the forum if I hadn't been mugging up on here about different scenarios I dread to think what I might have awarded or done.........thank you a million times.....made me look very seasoned! calm and professional.......wonder if the World Cup scouts were watching?

Been there and done it too. Last Sunday to be exact.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
With the cousin on this. Done it too

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I've certainly been there. We probably all do, for all sorts of reasons.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Nearly had it.
Green player on the run puts ball down one handed and as he pulls up a couple metres on is turning and throwing arms in air to celebrate as whistle is going towards mouth. As blue FB picks ball up and starts back up field, I realise it was a "5m try" and call "play on". So close to awarding the try but ended up looking smarter than I am.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Yep. Been there, done that.

Wedgie

Referees in England
Post Likes
...or the "opposite" - pinging an attacker for lying all over the ball/not releasing and only then realising that they are over the goal line...

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Good old law 20.4 (d). I reckon we've all had to use it at some time.

20.4 (d) Scrum after any other stoppage. After any other stoppage or irregularity not covered by Law, the team that was moving forward before the stoppage throws in the ball. If neither team was moving forward, the attacking team throws in the ball.

The best law there is when it all goes pear-shaped. :biggrin:

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I once had this in a very one sided but very friendly 3rd team game.
Home side blue winning easily, red attacking but throw out an interception and blue runs 60 m with only me and a token red for company but he dots the ball down over the five.
I call play on pick the ball up make 10m then pass to red who makes a further 10 than as he is about to be tackled passes it back to me.
I then got tackled and penalised blue for tackling me!
Happy days

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Happened to me once while I was being assessed :frown:

Oh how we laughed, the assessor and I...............not!
Apparently all he heard over the comms was me muttering to myself f**k, f**k, f**k.