[Law] 'Keep the Score' vs 'Know the Score'

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I made a doublesided template that I print in bulk. I can get 4 games on one sheet. So I basically print out a stack and it has lasted years.

I also "borrowed" a handful of mini pencils from ikea

Wedgie

Referees in England
Post Likes
When I play (Ok, was playing) I was so knackered that I kind of knew if we were loads ahead, loads behind or it was a bit close. That was the resolution of it, so I empathise with players who don't/can't keep accurate tabs on the score.
I find it easier to keep a running total 5, 7, 10, 15, 20, 23 under the relevant T, C, P, T, T, P columns. Personally I find it easier to add 2, 3 or 5 to the previous score whilst walking back to the centre rather than trying to add 5+2+3+5+5+3 whilst someone is waiting in anticipation... Whatever works for you.

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
...and in parallel tap buttons on my Apple Watch app

Flish - when I looked for one of these I couldn't find one, what do you use?

I ended up creating a prototype myself (which I have just dusted off). It keeps track of game time, elapsed time, score, any sin-bins (separate clock)... It's a few iOS's old but still seemed to deploy to the simulator.

Screenshot 2018-11-12 20.12.34.jpgScreenshot 2018-11-12 20.12.47.jpgScreenshot 2018-11-12 20.13.04.jpgScreenshot 2018-11-12 20.13.38.jpgScreenshot 2018-11-12 20.13.54.jpg

The reason I stopped relying on it - was the apple watch (2nd gen) is pretty useless to control in the rain.

Last edited:

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Wristref http://WristRef ScoreKeeper by Casey Pollock

Customisable scores, colours, and allows me to time elapsed. Doesn’t to sin bins but I have a multi timer app for that, would prefer it in one. Not had any crashes or issues, I used on the Apple Watch 3, and now 4 (big screen is an improvement). Am tempted to write my own, but struggle with finding time

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Am tempted to write my own, but struggle with finding time

Here's mine - I've just pushed it up "as is" to github under Apache 2 - https://github.com/mcroker/refwatch
It's definitely got a couple of glitches, but basically works.

It's been so long since I wrote it - that I'm going to have to reverse engineer what it does at some point.

Navigation from homescreen
- Shallow press on elapsed time : start/stop clock
- Shallow press on home or away score : edit scores
- Deep press: Menu (Reset, half-time, settings, sanctions)

Last edited:

MadRef77

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
If you happen to have a chance to grab one of the remaining pebble watches after the manufacturer went bankrupt it is still possible to install my dedicated app onto those:

https://apps.rebble.io/en_US/applic...0000b?query=rugby%20referee&section=watchapps

It's free, it has tons of options, the watch can be read in the sunlight, is water resistant, and works like a charm in the rain thanks to it's physical buttons.