Kick At Goal - Ball Over Top Of Post

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Could someone clarify and cite me the law that dictates if the goal is awarded when a kick taken for points goes directly over the top of the goal post. Is the goal awarded or not?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
i would assume not as if the post was extended it would hit it and (probably) bounce out. You can;t second guess whether it might bounce inside the post...

happy to be told otherwise :)

didds

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
The definition for scoring a goal says "between the posts"
I cannot see anything in the laws that deals with the ball passing over the posts, but I believe the posts mark the edge of the goal.
There is no upper limit to the height the ball can be to score, but I believe the it needs to clearly pass inside them.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Agree with #2 and #3.

In the early days it was known as a "poster" and did not count. I don't know of any modern statement on this, but I don't see why it would have changed - anything else would just lead to more uncertainty.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Thank heavens chopper doesn't post here any more!

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
I coulda sworn over the post was law, I must have had in TJ course.

Right now, I can even find that the has to go over the cross bar.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I coulda sworn over the post was law, I must have had in TJ course.

Right now, I can even find that the has to go over the cross bar.
It's in the Definitions[LAWS]Goal: [FONT=fs_blakeregular]A player scores a goal by kicking the ball over an opponents’ crossbar and between the goal posts from the field of play, by a place kick or drop-kick. A goal cannot be scored from a kick-off, drop-out or free kick.[/FONT][/LAWS]
Ignore WR's misplaced apostrophe :sad:

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Thanks for the input. I wasn't sure on this one and just encountered it this weekend while ARing. I kept the flag down but the official ruled in favor otherwise. If anyone finds any documentation or citation to support a ruling on this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's right there in the Law.. The ball has to go between the posts. Over the top is not between
I doubt the referee in your case had a different view of the Law, I expect he just had a different view of the flight of the ball

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
A goal has to be clear and obvious, right?

If it goes straight over the top of the post, I'll struggle to call that C & O.

For the OP, might be that the ref had a better view (or at least a different one) and thought it was clearly within the posts.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
if the AR says no and the ref says yes, the AR has a credibility problem

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
back in the very early 90s I was watching a (rugby) Bundesliga match, at Eintracht Frankfurt (the rugby pitch was behind the football stadium!).

In the dieing seconds of the game a conversion sailed just wide and the (American) touch judge waved his flag side to side at knee level to indicate a miss. (yes, we know that his real reaction should have been nothing but.... it certainly wasn't a flag UP for over).

the (German) referee awarded the conversion, and the game winning points, on the basis that the TJ had moved his flag which meant the kick was over. It clearly wasn't from 60m away where we were standing.

Who had the credibility problem here?

Didds

PS this was incidentally the same ref in the same game that pinged a player at kick off for starting just outside the touchline and as the ball was kicked running towards the landing point - he was pinged for entering the field of play without the referee's permission.

Last edited:

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Thanks for the input. I wasn't sure on this one and just encountered it this weekend while ARing. I kept the flag down but the official ruled in favor otherwise. If anyone finds any documentation or citation to support a ruling on this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Where were you positioned in relation to the post the ball "went over"?

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
back in the very early 90s I was watching a (rugby) Bundesliga match, at Eintracht Frankfurt (the rugby pitch was behind the football stadium!).

In the dieing seconds of the game a conversion sailed just wide and the (American) touch judge waved his flag side to side at knee level to indicate a miss. (yes, we know that his real reaction should have been nothing but.... it certainly wasn't a flag UP for over).

the (German) referee awarded the conversion, and the game winning points, on the basis that the TJ had moved his flag which meant the kick was over. It clearly wasn't from 60m away where we were standing.

Who had the credibility problem here?

Didds

PS this was incidentally the same ref in the same game that pinged a player at kick off for starting just outside the touchline and as the ball was kicked running towards the landing point - he was pinged for entering the field of play without the referee's permission.

And this is why we now have advisers.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
undoutedbly.

But the question remains... who had the credibility problem here?

didds

I thought that was rhetorical! I also thought it wasn't the touch judge!

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
what did the other AR do?

Sorry, I misspoke earlier (it was late when I replied before.) Albeit being a certified referee, I technically was only playing the role of TJ for this game because it didn't warrant ARs and I didn't officially sign up to be one ahead of time. Therefore the other person was also a TJ and actually wasn't paying that close attention because they forgot to line up to judge this conversion. So in this instance the judgement was between the official and myself. Again since I was technically only a TJ for this game I fully understand the official making his own judgement call despite my decision. I didn't even question him about it after the game.

Though that does lead me to a separate question of what would be proper protocol of an AR to do in the same situation? Discuss with the official after the match?...Have a quick chat with him right at the moment?

Btw, the team who took the conversion won the game by 2 points, just to make things a little more interesting.

Last edited:

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Where were you positioned in relation to the post the ball "went over"?

The ball sailed directly over the left post from my perspective. I was standing behind the left post, about two feet to the right of it facing inward the field of play and I was back on the dead ball line. (The kick came from a far right side of the field angle, about 10 meters from the touch line, from the kickers perspective.)

Last edited: