[Law] Kick at posts.

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
So roughly 3 mins into the below video. Team (I assume) has elected to kick at goal. I assume this as the tee has been brought on. Kicker IMO doesn't make an attempt to kick for goal. Would you guys agree?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6uyHXKsAzc

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
i agree, no attempt at going for goal (presume kick at goal had been signalled and defending side switched off).

scrum back where the kick took place? that would be my guess if i had to make the call in real time, now to check the good book.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So roughly 3 mins into the below video. Team (I assume) has elected to kick at goal. I assume this as the tee has been brought on. Kicker IMO doesn't make an attempt to kick for goal. Would you guys agree?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6uyHXKsAzc

i have seen that before - complete brain fart from the To3 (although I wonder whether, if we could watch a bit more of it, we'd find the decision was reversed....)

ianh5979

Referees in England
Post Likes
Also noted at least 2 players hurdling would be tacklers, penalty against them for dangerous play

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
i agree, no attempt at going for goal (presume kick at goal had been signalled and defending side switched off).

scrum back where the kick took place? that would be my guess if i had to make the call in real time, now to check the good book.

Helpfully its under Law 8 Scoring rather than Law 20 Penalty Kicks?
Since there is no sanction for 8.20, I assume we keep reading until we get to one, which is the scrum mentioned under 8.21

[LAWS]
20. If the team indicates to the referee the intention to kick at goal, they must kick at goal. The intention to kick can be communicated to the referee or signalled by the arrival of the kicking tee or sand, or when the player makes a mark on the ground.
21. The kick must be taken within 60 seconds (playing time) from the time the team indicated their intention to do so, even if the ball rolls over and has to be placed again. Sanction : Kick is disallowed and a scrum is awarded.[/LAWS]

Last edited:

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Also noted at least 2 players hurdling would be tacklers, penalty against them for dangerous play

Yeah, I noticed them too, especially the somersault one. Looked like he may have caught the player at the side on the head on his way over. But I was more asking if my thoughts matched with the kick clip. So far everyone agrees.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Helpfully its under Law 8 Scoring rather than Law 20 Penalty Kicks?
Since there is no sanction for 8.20, I assume we keep reading until we get to one, which is the scrum mentioned under 8.21

i guess - or do you just make them kick ?

In the video - definite a scrum - rthat was a plan, so not giving them a second bite at the cherry !

but I have seen scenarios where the capt says posts just as the 9 arrives back at the mark having fetched the ball and quick taps, as they do.
in circs like that I have called it back saying 'bad luck - your captain just said posts' and they go for posts.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
In the video - definite a scrum - rthat was a plan, so not giving them a second bite at the cherry !

In the video I would be tempted to give a PK against them for deliberate offending....and taking the P.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In the video I would be tempted to give a PK against them for deliberate offending....and taking the P.

I think you'd be OK with that (but I wouldn't let them quick tap something out of left field like that :wink: )