[In-goal] Kick from in goal and goes to touch-in-goal

Huck2Spit

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
There's a 5M scrum, White is defending, White wins the ball. They pass back, in to goal, to kicker for clearing kick. Nice high long kick but He flubbs it. Ball travels 50m laterally across field and maybe 5m forward,. Bounces in field of play then backwards into touch in- goal.
Pretty sure that's a 5m scrum to their opponents. But ?
Also where is the mark? Spot opposite the kick?

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
There's a 5M scrum, White is defending, White wins the ball. They pass back, in to goal, to kicker for clearing kick. Nice high long kick but He flubbs it. Ball travels 50m laterally across field and maybe 5m forward,. Bounces in field of play then backwards into touch in- goal.
Pretty sure that's a 5m scrum to their opponents. But ?
Also where is the mark? Spot opposite the kick?

Even though the ball bounces in the FoP, White (defending team) are responsible for putting it back into their in-goal and then making it dead there. Therefore it is a 5m attacking scrum, not in line with where the ball was kicked, but on the side of the field where it went over the TIG line, 5m out and 5m in from touch (i.e. on the junction of the 5m lines).

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Because the ball bounces in the FoP and then back into in-goal, white (defending team) are responsible for putting it back into their in-goal and then making it dead there. Therefore it is a 5m attacking scrum, not in line with where the ball was kicked, but on the side of the field where it went over the tig line, 5m out and 5m in from touch (i.e. On the junction of the 5m lines).

f t f y

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
5m out and 5m in from touch (i.e. on the junction of the 5m lines).

Is there a law reference for this? I can't find one in the lawbook and I'd expect, perhaps naively, that the scrum would be 15m from touch.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Is there a law reference for this? I can't find one in the lawbook and I'd expect, perhaps naively, that the scrum would be 15m from touch.

This establishes that it is a 5m scrum

[LAWS]22.11 BALL DEAD IN IN-GOAL
(a) When the ball touches the touch-in-goal line or the dead ball line, or touches anything or
anyone beyond those lines, the ball becomes dead. If the ball was played into in-goal by the
attacking team, a drop-out shall be awarded to the defending team. If the ball was played
into in-goal by the defending team, a 5-metre scrum shall be awarded and the attacking
team throws in the ball.[/LAWS]

As near as I can recall, only a PK or FK is brought 15m in, The only way a scrum can be brought 15m in is if it is taken as an option to such a PK or FK

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Only penalties under law 19 are awarded on the 15m.
Other penalties the mark is at the place of infringement.

The mark for a scrum cannot be made within 5m of touch of the goal line.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Only penalties under law 19 are awarded on the 15m.
Other penalties the mark is at the place of infringement.

Nope. 10.2 (c), 10.4 (n) and 10.4 (o) are as well

Law 10.2 (c) is throwing the ball into touch, so it is sort of relates to Law 19

Law 10.4 (n) is Misconduct when the ball is out of play (and it doesn't need to be in touch to be out of play)

Law 10.4 (o) is Late Charging the kicker. If the ball lands in touch or within 15m of touch, the mark for the PK is 15m in from touch.