Kick off in goal then dead

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Is it always clear that the player is not trying to make the ball dead?

We already have the post scenario:
Ball hits the posts and bounces back - It's pretty clear that the player was not trying to make it dead.

But what about:

Player gathers the ball let's say 10m from TIG and kicks the ball crosses the goal line and is blown back over the DBL or TIG - Pretty clear he's not trying to make it dead?

and

Player gathers the ball let's say 10m from TIG and kicks the ball that goes off the outside of the boot into TIG - Is he making it dead or trying to put it into play and he's just miss hit it?

Both possibly / probably more likely than a rebound of the posts.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
if he gathers the ball, and then kicks it, it's unlikely he was trying to make it dead -- why not just dot it down.

he might deliberately flyhack it dead.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Good question. But people, even the pros do it.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
if I was referreing, I'd give a 22m (after I'd stopped laughing !). He didn't make it dead. He kicked it up field, susequently it happened to rebound off a post and went dead. Same as if it had been charged down, or hit a team mate.

Yes, I agree with you on this one crossref. After reading 13.9 again I believe you have nailed it.
13.9(c) If they opt to ground the ball or make it dead, they must do so without delay. Any other action with the ball by a defending player means the player has elected to play on.

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
I had something weird, but not controversial, last weekend reffing my club's seconds.

Opponents elect to kick for 3pts but it goes wide. #10 catches the ball and from the ingoal... kicks high! Ball didn't even reach the 22. Kicker remains rooted to the spot and all teammates offside (they stood 10m from the original pk, not in the in-goal.)

Opponents catch the kick, I'm shouting "stay, leave it, you're all offside".

To save everyone's honour, opponents spread it wide and score the try!

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
I had something weird, but not controversial, last weekend reffing my club's seconds.

Opponents elect to kick for 3pts but it goes wide. #10 catches the ball and from the ingoal... kicks high! Ball didn't even reach the 22. Kicker remains rooted to the spot and all teammates offside (they stood 10m from the original pk, not in the in-goal.)

Opponents catch the kick, I'm shouting "stay, leave it, you're all offside".

To save everyone's honour, opponents spread it wide and score the try!

Not the only poor kicking, I see.