Kicking the ball in the scrum

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I had this occur a couple of times with 2 hookers (same side). Never happened before in 17 years of refereeing despite having refereed this team loads of times over the years.

On their oppos put in they would try and kick it towards their oppos. One foot, so nothing illegal there.

Oppos were moaning about it but I told them it wasn't illegal as far as I was aware.

Kicking it out of the tunnel was illegal and kicking it out of the scrum in 7s is too I told them. I had to look it up afterwards but I'm still sure I was correct.

I was pleasantly surprised that both hookers could reach the ball! ?

I don't know what they hoped to achieve other than perhaps it rebounding to them off a leg/legs or perhaps scooting out the back.

Would you penalise if the kick bounced off oppos and out of the tunnel or just reset? That never happened just interested.

Shit! I've just noticed I've stuck this in the RL Forum - can a clever person move it please?

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Law says they can strike for the ball, but then doesn't give a definition as to whether this is striking forwards or back?

ianh5979

Referees in England
Post Likes
I had this occur a couple of times with 2 hookers (same side). Never happened before in 17 years of refereeing despite having refereed this team loads of times over the years.

On their oppos put in they would try and kick it towards their oppos. One foot, so nothing illegal there.

Oppos were moaning about it but I told them it wasn't illegal as far as I was aware.

Kicking it out of the tunnel was illegal and kicking it out of the scrum in 7s is too I told them. I had to look it up afterwards but I'm still sure I was correct.

I was pleasantly surprised that both hookers could reach the ball! ?

I don't know what they hoped to achieve other than perhaps it rebounding to them off a leg/legs or perhaps scooting out the back.

Would you penalise if the kick bounced off oppos and out of the tunnel or just reset? That never happened just interested.

Shit! I've just noticed I've stuck this in the RL Forum - can a clever person move it please?
Used to do this myself, either try to get a rebound to win the ball or send it out channel 1 on their side where my SH knew it could be coming

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11