[Law] Kickoff opposition not on or behind the 10-meter line

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
In a recent match, after a successful shot at goal by Blue, White runs up quickly to take the restart kick, blue players are jogging back to their positions, but have not yet made it to the 10-meter line. White kick the restart, I blow the whistle, re-kick. White coaches collectively lose their minds, though not to the level of abuse. The discussion has continued online, and even after someone else pointed to the law and even screen-shotted it, the coaches still think I got it wrong.

Would anyone else do it differently?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Nope, this has almost happened to me before, I could see what they were going to do (I wasn’t back the center and ready yet either!) and called out to manage it, to their frustration as time was short, but also gave me the opportunity to gee up the receiving team too. If you think receivers are being deliberately slow you can take time off to wait.

Not quite the same scenario, but you did the right thing I think.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
It is one of those nightmare game scenario that we all hope will happen to the other guy.

This was obviously a ploy by white to gain an advantage, and one questions why Blue weren't already in their own half - bearing in mind it was their conversion!!

I - personally - would take two views on this.
1. Are all of White's teammates up with the kicker and ready to go? In which case, let's crack on with the game and look to play Advantage to White should an off-side Blue player play the ball - but you should try and manage this with verbal calls to "Leave the Ball".

2. If White's teammates are not up with him and ready to go then I would look to manage the situation by slowing him down by asking what way is he intending to kick, making sure my score book is back in my pocket etc.

I an understand why you took the decision that you did, and support you in your stance and would caution against getting embroiled in an on-line post match spat with coaches who's knowledge of the Laws is not as up-to-date and on-point as yours. Hand this over to your Society Management team.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I.......why Blue weren't already in their own half - bearing in mind it was their conversion!!

/QUOTE]

Shot at goal could have been a penalty shot in which case they didn't need to be in their own half!

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I.......why Blue weren't already in their own half - bearing in mind it was their conversion!!

/QUOTE]

Shot at goal could have been a penalty shot in which case they didn't need to be in their own half!
Yes, this was a PK. But even if it was a conversation, would you require the kicker to sprint back to the 10m line?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The Law could hardly be clearer

[LAWS].
When the ball is kicked:

Team-mates of the kicker must be behind the ball.
Sanction: Scrum.
Opposition players must be on or behind the 10-metre line.
Sanction: The kick is retaken.[/LAWS]

Not sure why this keeps coming up...
You can't take it until the oppo are behind the line

They dont need to be ready and paying attention, but they do need to be behind the line

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The law used to be ambivalent because it failed to cater properly for restart kicks. For kick offs play does not start until the referee blows his whistle, so there is no problem, but for restarts he does not whistle. This has now been clarified - the receiving team must be behind their 10m line or the kick is re-taken.

Obviously it is up to the referee to ensure they do not drag they feet eg time wasting.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So they clarified it, but some 2017 fundamentalists contend that it's still ambiguous, because nothing changed ?

Or being more charitable they clarified it, but didn't point that out , so people still haven't noticed

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
This exact situation was the basis of my first post on this forum as a coach - we played another team and this move was their "secret weapon". Well, more specifically it was their U12s coach's cunning plan. :mad:

It was a snarky play then, it is still a snarky play now. Anyway, the receiving players have to be behind the 10 - else it's a re-kick.

If the team are deliberately taking forever to bimble their way back - say trying to run the clock down - then it's time wasting and a FK for unfair play as per 7.d.

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Related to this. What if the receiving team are all on or behind their 10m line with water carriers on the field? Do we wait till they're off the field and give them a wee prod if they're taking too long?