Kickstarter Boot Fastening

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
They don't look sharper than any other bits of boot - with the magnets encased in plastic.

I'd say they were alright for RU. They look a bit fashion victimish and I'm not sure I'd like to kick with them on.

I'd also say to the wearer - you lazy bast@rd!

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Until approved by IRB or RFU, I would not allow them for two reasons :

Hard surface, with edges and corners on top of a boot - potentially dangerous, especially to eyes
Easy to snap open in contact with possible self or opposition player injury from loose boot

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Until approved by IRB or RFU, I would not allow them for two reasons :

Hard surface, with edges and corners on top of a boot - potentially dangerous, especially to eyes
Easy to snap open in contact with possible self or opposition player injury from loose boot

Having seen ST's post I would now suggest that given the (advertised) ease of them sliding off when stood on then they are probably not the best things to be used for scrummaging.

So I have changed my mind.

Have said that the stud check tends to be just that (perhaps incorrectly) and I only really look at the soles and unless bits are hanging off/sticking out (some Nike boots used to allegedly) I probably wouldn't notice them.

I recall refereeing youth rugby that some used have a penchant of not fastening their laces but tucking them down the inside of the upper (eh?). I always used to insist the Forwards fastened their laces properly (if they were able to) or get their mum to come on and do it. I tied one useless bugger's myself - Cuh! The youth of today (well a few years ago).

Last edited:

AntonyGoodman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Will be interesting to see if the kids start trying to wear them. We will find out when they start selling them in January.

Thanks,

Antony