[Kit] Kinesiology Tape and Calf muscles

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Last couple of seasons, I've noticed my calf muscles getting more noticeably sore after a game.
I've put this down to
(a) I'm getting older
(b) The level and speed of games is getting more challenging
(c) A really bad calf tear 2 seasons ago that led me to abandon the game and some weeks out.

I've noticed other refs use this Kinesiology tape ( aka elasticated sticky physio tape ) on their calf muscles and wondered if anyone uses it or would recommend it.

Is it any good or a load of woo ?
cheers

Last edited:

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Look at arch supports in your footwear.
Have an uneducated opinion on the tape but will keep that to myself! !

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Look at Support Socks.

Skins, O'Neills etc

Also, consider adding calf raises to your workout routines. Bear Crawls help with pre and post match stretches

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I've noticed other refs use this Kinesiology tape ( aka elasticated sticky physio tape ) on their calf muscles and wondered if anyone uses it or would recommend it.

cheers

It might have positive effects, but to the best of my knowledge it's not been found to have more positive effects than placebo.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I wear those Skins calf things. No idea if they work but I don't not wear them to test the placebo effect.

I used to wear flat Adidas boots but switched to Asics (with the heel raise in) about 10 years ago and it is probably those that helped my Achilles/Calf issues more.

Accylad

Referees in England
Post Likes
Last couple of seasons, I've noticed my calf muscles getting more noticeably sore after a game.
I've put this down to
(a) I'm getting older
(b) The level and speed of games is getting more challenging
(c) A really bad calf tear 2 seasons ago that led me to abandon the game and some weeks out.

cheers
I wear skins calf support’s BUT if I get a minor calf problem I use K tape. This was first done for me by my massage therapist and it really worked to support an injury. I do it myself now at the first sign of a twinge and I am 100% convinced of its effectiveness

devonref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I had a similar problem. The physio suggested calf strengthening and I’ve had no problems since. Calf raises every night when I brush my teeth, worked a treat