[Law] Knock on into the dead ball area.

frenchie851

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I was watching a game today, if the attacking team knock the ball on into the dead ball area, defensive team then touch it down, would you give the option of the knock on or 22?

I have been giving this option but then I saw a game today in The Champ Cup and the option wasn't given.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I was watching a game today, if the attacking team knock the ball on into the dead ball area, defensive team then touch it down, would you give the option of the knock on or 22?

I have been giving this option but then I saw a game today in The Champ Cup and the option wasn't given.

Scrum 5, defending team feed

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Yup, scrum 5, a 22 would be way too much advantage

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
It was explicit in the 2017 laws.
But got lost in the 2019 clarification.
You can imply it from the table in law 19 and the definition of the scrum zone.
As the mark is at 5m you cannot gain territorial advantage without leaving the in-goal.

If you were going to contrive a situation. What if the player who retrieved the knock on cross kicked the ball to a teammate still in the in-goal who then decided not to run but touch down. Normally kicking is sufficient to end knock on advantage (tactical).

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
you should at least attempt to provide a justification based in Law !

All law elements in and around advantage which leave it at the referees judgement - so no, not possible to base it on a specific law - but you know that

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I had one recently where there was a knock on prior to the goal line, which then went to touch in goal. I gave a 22 DO. Is this wrong and if so why?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
All law elements in and around advantage which leave it at the referees judgement - so no, not possible to base it on a specific law - but you know that

Just saying :) Law 12.11: [LAWS]Apart from at a kick-off or restart kick, if the ball is played or taken into in-goal by an attacking player and is made dead by an opponent, play is restarted with a 22-metre drop-out. [/LAWS]

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

The law has quite a lot to say about advantage .. and there is no concept of "too much advantage"

Scenario :
- Red knock on inside their own in goal
- Blue touch down for a try

Are you going back for a blue scrum, becasue a try is "way too much advantage" for a simple knock on ?

Of course not . There is no such thing as "too much advantage"

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

If you were going to contrive a situation. What if the player who retrieved the knock on cross kicked the ball to a teammate still in the in-goal who then decided not to run but touch down. Normally kicking is sufficient to end knock on advantage (tactical).

If you consider that kicking means advantage over (which is indeed normally the case) ... then your scenario doesn't even need the second player .. the kick could just go into TIG

Last edited:

timmad

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Perhaps in most cases kicking means advantage over however surely there is an implication that the outcome of the kick at least gives territorial advantage to the non-offending team.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Perhaps in most cases kicking means advantage over however surely there is an implication that the outcome of the kick at least gives territorial advantage to the non-offending team.

Further back in the thread, the perceived problem is that they get "too much" territorial advantage ! :biggrin:

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

For clarity ... If this happened in my game (a knock on from the FoP into the ingoal, where defenders touch down) I would also give a defending scrum on the 5m line .. simply because that is what everyone is expecting.

Law debates are good fun online , but unwelcome on field.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Oh no!!! Not again!!![LAWS]PRINCIPLE
[FONT=fs_blakeregular]If a team gains an advantage following an infringement by their opponents, the referee may allow play to continue in an effort to keep the game flowing.[/FONT][/LAWS]

By making the ball dead you are stopping play and thereby killing the concept of advantage.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I had one recently where there was a knock on prior to the goal line, which then went to touch in goal. I gave a 22 DO. Is this wrong and if so why?

No, I think that's the correct call as the defenders haven't chosen to make the ball dead.

The 5m defensive scrum is in place to discourage a touchdown for a 22DO.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
No, I think that's the correct call as the defenders haven't chosen to make the ball dead.

The 5m defensive scrum is in place to discourage a touchdown for a 22DO.

Although if the attackers send the ball into the in goal without a knock on, we see no problem at all in the defenders touching it down and getting a 22m DO ..

Attackers effectively get rewarded for the knock on ..

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes

Hard to answer as what is the "dead ball area" and where did the KO happen?

But basically any KO in the FOP that goes in goal and is made dead by a touchdown is a 5m defending scrum restart.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes

Only for a scrum advantage.