Knock out competitions

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
We all know that in U19 and below there is a restriction on playing time.

So if a game ends in a draw, we can't play extra time.

But would people allow a kicking contest to decide the winner?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
In IRFUland (Leinster) it goes as follows....

Team with most tries wins.
If equal number of tries, first try wins.
If no tries , first score wins.
If no score, team with fewest red cards wins.
If no red cards then fewest yellows wins.
If no cards then...............toss a coin!!

This only happens if there must be a result on the day.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Here's the RFU regs -- other jusrisdictions may differ

[LAWS]15.14 Duration of Matches, coaching and training sessions
15.14.1 All players, match officials and clubs must ensure that no player plays more
than 35 matches per Season and in respect of all matches and festivals,
plays no more than the maximum playing times set out in the table below:

Age Grade Maximum minutes each half Maximum minutes per day
U7/U8 10 50
U9/U10 15 60
U11/U12 20 70
U13/U14 25 80
U15 30 90
U16+ 35 90
Further guidance as playing times and durations for single fixtures,
festivals, tournaments and coaching and training sessions are set out in the
Guidance available at www.englandrugby.com/Regulation15Guidance.

15.14.2 No extra time is permitted in any match except that added for injury time[/LAWS]

It's clear that there is no extra time - but I'd say that as long as the kicking competion fits into the maximium minutes per day - then you are OK.

(but in age group I wouldn't have a kicking competition. I'd settle it on tries scored, first try scored etc etc and if all else fails a coin toss, I reckon for an child a coin toss is better than a kicking compettion)

Last edited:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
.. I'd settle it on tries scored, first try scored etc etc and if all else fails a coin toss, I reckon for an child a coin toss is better than a kicking competition
I don't mean to be argumentative Crossref, but is it?

There is no skill involved in a coin toss. Why can't the teams share it? Eg I was an AR at an U19 Final last week. Both teams had 1 unconverted try and a PK ie finished at 8 all. Both teams shared the trophy ie each team have it for 6 months each. Not ideal, but I suggest it's better than losing a trophy on a coin toss.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
but in age group I wouldn't have a kicking competition

I wouldn't have one at any level. Surely there's something more in-keeping with the rest of the game. As Nigel Owens would say "this isn't soccer"

Staffs_Ref

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I really don't know whether a kicking contest would be permitted or not, but given that there are no kicks at goal in some of the younger age groups in any case, then it wouldn't always be a suitable solution.

Most age group competitions I have been involved with have stipulated something like first team to score wins in the event of a draw, or away team wins if it is a draw. It will depend on the individual competition regs.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't mean to be argumentative Crossref, but is it?

There is no skill involved in a coin toss. Why can't the teams share it? Eg I was an AR at an U19 Final last week. Both teams had 1 unconverted try and a PK ie finished at 8 all. Both teams shared the trophy ie each team have it for 6 months each. Not ideal, but I suggest it's better than losing a trophy on a coin toss.

share a trophy, by all means.
But if it's a semi-final, say, only one team can go through
or a promotion/relgations play off similar. You can't share those.

Last edited:

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
At local level here, we play 10 minutes each way of golden point in semis. If it is still a draw, we go:
- Most tries scored
- First try scored
- First points scored
- First penalty received.

I would imagine a few of you may have objections to using most tries scored.

In a grand final if there is no winner after golden point, they share the premiership.

I'd suggest any of the ideas above are just as fair as a kicking competition though. When you can't play extra time and you need a winner, someone is always going to feel a bit robbed.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
5 minutes each way for u11s and 12s, 10 minutes each way for u13s-18s.

[LAWS]The Laws of the Game apply to the Under 19 game, subject to the following variations:

Law 5 : Time
5.1 Duration of a match
Each half of an Under 19 match lasts 35 minutes playing time. Play in a match lasts no longer than 70 minutes. After a total of 70 minutes playing time, the referee must not allow extra time to be played in the case of a drawn match in a knock-out competition.
Law 20 : Scrum[/LAWS]

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
[LAWS]The Laws of the Game apply to the Under 19 game, subject to the following variations:

Law 5 : Time
5.1 Duration of a match
Each half of an Under 19 match lasts 35 minutes playing time. Play in a match lasts no longer than 70 minutes. After a total of 70 minutes playing time, the referee must not allow extra time to be played in the case of a drawn match in a knock-out competition.
Law 20 : Scrum[/LAWS]
Apologies for the confusion, I was talking about the RL tie-breaking process here. I was suggesting that what we use to decide a tie after extra-time is what you should use to decide a tie immediately.

Last edited:

davidgh

Referees in England
Post Likes
Kicking competition - please don't - spoils the whole ethos of rugby! Been there done that - ghastly

Share, toss, whatever you like - not elitist trials for tired players - everyone loses!

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
In local cup event for these ages if the normal Try/ Converted etc does not split tied sides the AWAY side goes through. Finals are shared. For these youngsters that sharing seems right to me.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
another reason maybe why the increasingly common festival concept of a round robin works better, rather than KO srages.

Its an adults' problem.

didds