Know the tournament laws

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I hate it when questions like this crop up and the standard answer is "The rules are online".

The problem is that EVERYTHING is online and the stuff you actually want is lost amongst the dross. This is 2019 - why can't a link to all competition rules be put in the adverts, Facebook events notifications, e-mailed to all concerned etc? In fairness perhaps they were sent out, but the secretary didn't read them.

To be fair, when I was involved with a Final a couple of years ago, the WRU did e-mail us the competition rules in advance with a separate explanation what would happen in the event of a draw. It's good to see people being proactive.

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I hate it when questions like this crop up and the standard answer is "The rules are online".

The problem is that EVERYTHING is online and the stuff you actually want is lost amongst the dross. This is 2019 - why can't a link to all competition rules be put in the adverts, Facebook events notifications, e-mailed to all concerned etc? In fairness perhaps they were sent out, but the secretary didn't read them.

To be fair, when I was involved with a Final a couple of years ago, the WRU did e-mail us the competition rules in advance with a separate explanation what would happen in the event of a draw. It's good to see people being proactive.
My society has the rules for local cup competitions on its website with a special referee summary. There are some things he needs to know (what to do in the event of a draw) and some he doesn't (eligibility of players). When appointed to a cup game the referee should look them up.

Otherwise, there are plenty of people with smartphones these days, and ample time to check if the situation arises. Moreover we aim to have a committee member present who should have a copy of the rules.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Sounds like heaven, I will have reffed 4 different comps come Sunday, each with a different set of regs, rules, and different websites. None of which were signposted to me, and in one case I had to ask on Twitter!

This Sunday is a Junior cup final, where potentially there is no outright winner - assuming I googled correctly

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Finding competition rules can, in my experience, be a nightmare. Various Competitions run by the same Society can often have different sets of regulations.

As a default I now use the standard regulations in the RFU handbook.

FWIW I dod raise this very issue with our Society representative as even trying to get results is a nightmare

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
My recent cup game reached 22-22 with 5 minutes to go.

I asked the AR via comms to ask some Society/Committee bods on the touchline what was the countback in the event of a draw. I got the message back and it all appeared well planned.

I had asked for the rules to be sent to me but they never arrived before the game.

Neither of the teams knew so I arguably could have said "loudest fart wins" and they'd probably have gone with that.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Neither of the teams knew so I arguably could have said "loudest fart wins" and they'd probably have gone with that.

I've been covering this off in the PMB, although secretly it's mostly for my benefit so I've said it out loud and it locks in my head, figure it can't hurt them to know in advance, if any one wants to challenge it then I have half a chance to make a call

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It has been suggested the actual rules were changed due to timings of the day. So this one may not be quite as it all seems. The "normal" rule in the finals of the National Cups is Extra time and then Number of tries if till drawn. My club were involved in one of the finals and were not advised of any change to that.

Last edited:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
From a referee point of view I tell both sides to make sure they know as it is their problem not mine. I just referee the game and report the scores. All I'm interested in is whether or not extra time is played.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
That's where I've wanted to be, but so far 3/4 (and I haven't done the 4th yet) have all been none the wiser, probably a reflection of the levels I'm reffing mind.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
From a referee point of view I tell both sides to make sure they know as it is their problem not mine. I just referee the game and report the scores. All I'm interested in is whether or not extra time is played.

It's very helpful for everyone if the referee does know the regs ..

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I heard tonight that the decision to ignore the regulations was made by the Stadium officials and not the union.

Only in Wales!

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
We spoke about this in the margins of society meeting. A ref had been allocated a cup k/o game, but was "advised" by the appointer not to have extra time (meaning avoid it if you can) However he misunderstood and when the game finished as a draw he blew for no side saying there was not extra time. As a result there was all sorts of bother and the match had to be replayed!

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Sorry, But how do you "avoid it if you can". Sounds a little iffy to me.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Sorry, But how do you "avoid it if you can". Sounds a little iffy to me.

agree. that sounds like a quasi-order/strong plea to either keep playing until somebody wins, or invent a plausible reason/ignore something to allow somebody to win

didds

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I am fourth official for all three of our county cup games next Sunday.

The competition regulations are on the Staffordshire CB website.
But it says extra time, then count back, then a kicking competition.
The rules for the kicking competition are not on the document and have to be found in the RFU regulations.

If it ever gets to a kicking competition I would bet my house that I am the only person there who knows what to do.
I don't like leaving things to others as in my experience you inevitably get let down. I want to be the one that knows the reg's and looks professional.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes

The rules for the kicking competition are not on the document and have to be found in the RFU regulations.

If it ever gets to a kicking competition I would bet my house that I am the only person there who knows what to do.
I don't like leaving things to others as in my experience you inevitably get let down. I want to be the one that knows the reg's and looks professional.

They are lucky to have such a xxn a.... diligent no4 as your good self

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

Peep peep peeeeeep. Full time. Roight - toyme for the kicking caaampetition....Oooooh Arrrrgggghhh

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
For goodness sake, don’t get them started on Bottle Kicking, somebody’ll get ‘urt.

The annual event is believed by some to have its roots in Roman times and serve as an inspiration for rugby.
Or is that another urban legend?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
For goodness sake, don’t get them started on Bottle Kicking, somebody’ll get ‘urt.

Or is that another urban legend?

I'll see your Bottle Kicking and raise you a Haxey Hood....just down the road from me..... in Lincolnshire. A thousand yellow bellies fighting over a big leather sausage... ooohh errr missus.