[In-goal] KO over dead ball line

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Wondering if I got this right (and fearful it might be the old advantage by making ball dead chestnut)

Yellow breaks this line, runs the length of the pitch and then in the act of trying to place the ball down in goal (under very little pressure) manages to catch it with his foot and accidentally kicks/KOs the ball over the dead ball line. I am behind him so not quite sure which.

I reason yellow took it into goal, and it was then made dead. So restart with a 22 drop out.

Did I get it right?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
If it were deemed a kick then yes, a 22, however if it could be considered a knock on then scrum 5 attacking ball

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
In the weeds your decision is sold to me!

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
If it were deemed a kick then yes, a 22, however if it could be considered a knock on then scrum 5 attacking ball

Yes...either is a valid outcome.
But OP states that he wasn't 'quite sure ' so I'm presuming he 'sold' his decision admirably!

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10

Yellow were attacking, you probably intended to say defensive scrum.

In which case I got this one wrong (but sold the decision anyway).

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Yes...either is a valid outcome.
But OP states that he wasn't 'quite sure ' so I'm presuming he 'sold' his decision admirably!

Indeed - TBH black were just relieved I didn’t award it...
... in my head it was a KO hence reflecting I may have got the restart wrong (fortunately not particularly material in this case).

KO into touch gives options - wonder why KO over dead ball line (or touch in goal) doesn’t.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
KO into touch gives options - wonder why KO over dead ball line (or touch in goal) doesn’t.

Of course it's only quite recently that a knock on into touch gave the option of a lineout , it always used to be a scrum.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
accidentally catching it with a foot is not a kick (IMO) so I'd go with 5 metre scrum. Defending ball

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
It's only a KO if he hits it with hand or arm, so running into it and it bouncing of any other body part and going dead is a22DO

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It's only a KO if he hits it with hand or arm, so running into it and it bouncing of any other body part and going dead is a22DO

runs the length of the pitch and then in the act of trying to place the ball down in goal

I read this as not "running into it" but rather carried ball into in goal then dropping it.

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Correct ran the length of the pitch and lost it forward in goal, ball then went dead over dead ball line

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Yellow were attacking, you probably intended to say defensive scrum.

In which case I got this one wrong (but sold the decision anyway).

Sorry, yes, replied pre-coffee. I had a weird one where defender in goal under no pressure kicked it out (attackers put it in), I gave a scrum 5 attacking (wrong), but I sold it to all 30 on the pitch. Players do odd things sometimes!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Sorry, yes, replied pre-coffee. I had a weird one where defender in goal under no pressure kicked it out (attackers put it in), I gave a scrum 5 attacking (wrong), but I sold it to all 30 on the pitch. Players do odd things sometimes!

Presumably he was expecting to be awarded a 22m DO ..

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Presumably he was expecting to be awarded a 22m DO ..

No, he had no expectation, a very new player, subbed on as full back who despite having an empty half pitch ahead of him bricked himself and hoofed it, had no idea what to do, let alone what would happen next!

I didn’t help his learnings :confused:

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I had not disimilar in the same game from a most young scrum-half ... “what side do I stand?”

I replied that he would have to ask his team.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I had not disimilar in the same game from a most young scrum-half ... “what side do I stand?”

I replied that he would have to ask his team.

I would have said "in Law you can stand either side .. but normally you'd want to be here ..."

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Similar outcome - he asked his hooker who told him where he was needed.