Lasers in the Crowd

the magpie

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
13 minutes into the Aus v Arg game, you could clearly see on the TV coverage someone shining a green laser point on Mike Harris as he was lining up a penalty shot.

Not a good look for the game.

the magpie

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Add in Harris's 26th minute shot and Beale's 33rd minute shot

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Possibly the most worrying thing is that it will be almost impossible to stop.

Is this an issue in football or other sports? Until last week I had never heard of it at a sporting occasion.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Not good at all.
Speaking of things not good, how bad is the lack of discipline by both teams at the breakdown? Some will say that CJ is blowing the pea out of his whistle but he has little choice when both teams are guilty of frustratingly frequent stupid ruck & tackle infringements. Aussie commentators make the comment that at half time Robbie Deans will need to tell the Wallabies that CJ will be tough on T/R infringements. HELLOOOO!!!! How do you get to elite level rugby as a player and still not be able to work out the obvious for yourself as the game goes along?

MrQeu

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
In Europe it happens quite regularly. Not only on football, but I have seen it happening on basketball too. :frown:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Fat & magpie - you should be watching Bathurst! Tape the rugby for after!

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Was flicking between the 2.
Booking for a bus trip full of half pished petrol heads for Bathurst next year. I think it's one of those things you should do at least once in your life. Drove the track over 30 years ago and every year I just marvel at how fast those guys negotiate parts of that track.
Great finish today.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Booking for a bus trip full of half pished petrol heads for Bathurst next year. I think it's one of those things you should do at least once in your life. Drove the track over 30 years ago and every year I just marvel at how fast those guys negotiate parts of that track.
Great finish today.

I went to Bathurst in 1983 (it was called the James Hardie 1000 then)

My enduring memory of that event was seeing Dick Johnson crash that green 351 Falcon in the trees just after Forrest's Elbow.

Last edited:

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
In Europe it happens quite regularly. Not only on football, but I have seen it happening on basketball too. :frown:

It happened at Wigan Warriors a couple of months ago in the middle of the first half, and they'd worked out who it was with CCTV and thrown the miscreant out of the ground before half-time.

RugbyFish

Referees in Germany
Post Likes
It happened at the AB - Arg game last week as well. I'm hoping the reason no one mentions it on TV is that they don't want to encourage anyone. And I hope he habit is not contagious...

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Great finish today.

Phew...good to hear. A good finish won by the good guys (tho prefer any Holden other than Whinger-cup )

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
It happened at Wigan Warriors a couple of months ago in the middle of the first half, and they'd worked out who it was with CCTV and thrown the miscreant out of the ground before half-time.

That was in the Saints game last month. You could see it wiggling across Tomkins shirt early on in the first half. There was also an allegation of their use in the Featherstone v Wigan game in April IIRC. Charnley was kicking when it happened.

Cave Dweller

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The guy spent a lot of money on his laser.
http://www.gizmag.com/spyder-3-krypton-laser/19747/

But Cmon Rome wasn't build in one day. At least they do not chase the referee over the fence after the games like in the football.

But I have not see many discussions over Los Pumas matches and how they were unlucky with their high penalty count as it really looked they were targeted by officials.