Latcher foot in touch

Harry

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Player with ball in hand charges the goal line from a few metres out, a second player latches on to drive the ball carrier over the line.
But the latcher puts a foot in touch.

It's not a maul as no opposition player makes contact.

I have no idea what the decision should be so I'm asking the experts please.

Locke

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
If it were a maul, and a teammate of the call carrier who is bound into the mail puts a foot in touch, would the ball be dead? A quick scan of laws 16 and 18 suggest to me the ball would still be in play.
Thoughts?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
If it were a maul, and a teammate of the call carrier who is bound into the mail puts a foot in touch, would the ball be dead? A quick scan of laws 16 and 18 suggest to me the ball would still be in play.
Thoughts?
You would then be looking at the ball in relation to plane of touch.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Player with ball in hand charges the goal line from a few metres out, a second player latches on to drive the ball carrier over the line.
But the latcher puts a foot in touch.

It's not a maul as no opposition player makes contact.

I have no idea what the decision should be so I'm asking the experts please.

Not in touch, its only the ball carrier that is relevant.
Law 18.1

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
As per Phil - only the BC matters. As long as no part of the BC or the ball touches the touchline they are good, even if tacklers or latched players are on or over.

For me, all the sections in law about touching the ball (18.1 b, above) apply when the ball is loose. When it’s with the BC then it’s all about where their feet are, etc. Similarly, when the BC gets pushed out - the tackler can remain on the field but the ball is dead.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
So if a BC fends off an opposing player who is in touch, that is in touch. However, if an opposing player standing in touch reaches out and taps the BC on the buttocks, that is not in touch. correct?

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
So if a BC fends off an opposing player who is in touch, that is in touch. However, if an opposing player standing in touch reaches out and taps the BC on the buttocks, that is not in touch. correct?
Nope - for me only if part of the BC or the ball they are carrying touches the line or beyond would it be in touch. If the defender is in touch and makes contact or is fended off while in touch, neither is an issue as I read it. Where is the ball or BC is - that’s my guide.

lawsons

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Imagine the scenario. 5m attacking lineout to blue, last play of the game, losing by 4. They catch and form a contested maul. Defenders push half the maul into touch as it trundles to the try line. The maul goes over the corner flag as the maul goes over the line. At no point does the ball carrier or ball go into touch, but half the maul is. Try?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
did the BC enter touch?

No = try.