Late tackle on kicker or tackling player without the ball?

Elpablo73

Referees in England
Post Likes
At the weekend I was watching a game where the referee gave a penalty for tackling the player without the ball, but the last action of player tackled was to kick the ball down field.

In the bar after the game, I spoke to him about this and he said it was tackling the player without the ball because the kicker had moved away from the place it had been kicked and the ball had already been played at when the tackle was made. The 'Kicker' was chasing his wayward kick, it went more sideways than forward and at about knee height!

Is this right? At what point does a kicker revert to a regular player?

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If the process of the kick is well and truly over and the kicker is indeed now a "chaser", I think it's justified that it is no longer a late tackle on the kicker. Obviously there is no one definitive point at which he changes roles, but if it is evident to you that the kick is over (i.e. he's regained his balance and is now chasing the ball) and the point of the tackle is to stop him getting to the ball, rather than smashing him in the act of kicking, a penalty for a tackle off the ball is sufficient.

If in doubt, penalise it for whichever would give the non-infringing team the greatest advantage (the infringing team do not deserve the benefit of the doubt in this instance).

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Is this right? At what point does a kicker revert to a regular player?

Law 10.4 (o) tells us this:

[LAWS]Late-charging the kicker. A player must not intentionally charge or obstruct an opponent who has just kicked the ball.
Sanction: The non-offending team may choose to take the penalty kick either at the place of infringement, where the ball lands or or where it was next played.
[/LAWS]

For me, this means that once the kicker has 'recovered' from the act of kicking the ball and is beginning his chase then 10.4(o) no longer applies and "playing player without ball" or "obstruction" apply.

The only difference in sanction is that the 'down town' PK option no longer applies.

Last edited:

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's not black and white, but I'd err on the side of calling it late charging.

The only time I wouldn't is if the kicker is trying to affect play, regathering his kick, trying to make a tackle, or something. Or after a tackle has occurred.

If he's tackled very late after he's admiring his kick, jogging forward to keep up with play or otherwise not contributing to the game, I'm probably going to call that late charging

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I think I'm with DocY, the only reason an opposition player is going to be anywhere near the kicker is because he is trying to "late charge". It might need a liberal interpretation of the words "just kicked" but I don't think you would get many complaints if you penalised for a late charge with the penalty where the ball landed/was played.

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I think I'm with DocY, the only reason an opposition player is going to be anywhere near the kicker is because he is trying to "late charge". It might need a liberal interpretation of the words "just kicked" but I don't think you would get many complaints if you penalised for a late charge with the penalty where the ball landed/was played.

IME there are two scenarios: (a) a player close to the kicker who is trying to charge down the kick and/or tackle the kicker, and (b) a player close to where the ball was kicked blocking the kicker, who is trying to follow his kick. In either instance I'll offer the PK options provided the ball hasn't landed or been played already.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The Referee, in the scenario described in the OP, appears to have made the correct call.

However if it was a late tackle following a kick with the ball landing in the 5m channel where would the mark for the penalty be?

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
The Referee, in the scenario described in the OP, appears to have made the correct call.

However if it was a late tackle following a kick with the ball landing in the 5m channel where would the mark for the penalty be?

On the 15m, in line with where it landed

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Correct. Surprised at how many refs don't know that! !

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
You're not.....but I am tomorrow. 2nd time in 4 weeks!!

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Remember, its HOW you manage this penalty as well as getting it correct in law. Explain/sell as much as time allows, try to time and frame the words so as not to give an advantage to either team. Simples!