Latest report

PeterH

Referees in England
Post Likes
YORKSHIRE FEDERATION ASSESSOR’S REPORT FORM 2010-11

REFEREE: Peter Houghton Level 7 Liverpool Society ASSESSOR: xxxxx DATE: 02.10.10

MATCH RESULT: S 18 v B 17
GAME LEVEL 7
OBJECTIVES: Please list the objectives agreed with the referee prior to the match. These should ideally be established via email or phone conversations during the week prior to the match.

• Clear secondary signals
• Positioning at lineout

GAME DESCRIPTION: Explain the challenge it provided to the Referee and the degree of difficulty involved

A Yorkshire 1 league game played on an immaculate pitch in ideal climatic conditions for rugby. As the score line suggests this was to be a closely fought contest between two teams who on the day opted to play a fast moving game displaying some good handling and defensive tackling skills. However both were guilty of overcooking their possession and often took the wrong options running into trouble and the defensive wall.

The challenge for Peter today was to keep up with the pace of movement and although he lacked speed this is counter balanced by well thought out angles of running.

MANAGEMENT PERFORMANCE: This will generally cover his control & communication and may relate to his personal objective for the match.

Peter used 21 penalties and 1 free kick to control the game. He also used 1 yellow card with the B No7 who foolishly ignored a previous warning for a dangerous high tackle. There were no other incidents of foul play to deal with.

Peter certainly uses a “less is best” style of refereeing, his first call is always preventative before moving to penalties. However as noted over at tackle/ruck it would be helpful to use more downtime more effectively especially with the captains in explaining decisions and responsibilities. We had relatively long injury pauses which offered an ideal opportunity.

Turning now to communications Peter has good loud verbal calls which compliment his variable whistle tone and excellent primary signals. His objective No1 which was secondary signals were at times limp and rushed which made them unclear. There is a case for practise and polish in this area. The protocols for advantage calls and signals are commented on in technical performance over. Peter sometimes uses the protocol for time off/time on and at other times does not so consistency is required if this is to be used properly.

Having regard to Peter’s 2nd objective which was positioning at lineout there were no problems of note. Indeed he was always well positioned to make decisions and as a means of restarting the game we saw some really competitive lineout work – well done.

TECHNICAL PERFORMANCE: Not all sub-headings need to be used. Select only those that were relevant to the Referee’s performance and/or those that relate to his personal objectives for the match
Scrum: 24 scrums plus 5 R. A well timed C-P-T-E procedure gave players every opportunity of a successful engagement – although players chose to ignore this on 5 occasions and engaged early. Peter kept a good eye on the binding and went for preventative calls moving to 2 penalties when ignored. An illegal team wheel was dealt with immediately and thus good safety was maintained. Well done.

Lineout: 28 lineouts benefitting from a good 1 metre gap set by marking the 5 metre line. This was the secret to providing space for a good jumping display from both sides. On clean catch Peter immediately signalled the back line to “stay” with both hand and voice calls. However be wary of not keeping this in check as players crept up as soon as vision was switched back to the lineout.

Tackle & Ruck: Out of a game total of 21 penalties some 13 were required at the breakdown (6 ruck and 7 tackle). B were the main culprits at the ruck with 5 out of the 6 whilst at tackle S attracted 5 out of the 7. Peter does use calls such as back foot, no hands but in recognising the above patterns he may wish to consider more effective use at downtime to get skippers and players to take on board their own responsibilities.

Maul: No comments required.

Open play: 2 obstructions and 1 high illegal tackle dealt with immediately and effectively. Peter quite correctly relies on reading the game and running the angles which counter balances his level of speed around the park.

Advantage: This is a strong point in Peter’s game. We saw some 16 advantage scrums and 9 advantage penalties with 3 correctly returned when nothing came. Peter demonstrated a good understanding of territorial v tactical and indeed a drop goal by B in the dying moments of the first half came from an extended advantage being played. Notwithstanding the above Peter may wish to consider a consistent approach for calls of advantage still being played and advantage over. Also in the use of colours for example advantage scrum green or advantage penalty black.

OVERALL COMMENT: Provide a summary comment on the Referee for his Coach and the Development Squad Coordinator using the 5 Cs – plus an evaluation of the referee’s progress towards meeting his personal match objectives. A comparative judgement is not required

Peter’s objectives have been dealt with above. On today’s game he was always in control and was clearly comfortable and confident in his decision making. Thus in the context of a competitive game he showed great competence.

Peter is aware of the speed issues mentioned elsewhere and intends to work on these further. His personal objectives do include an opportunity for panel touch judging and I can clearly see him in this role.

All in all this was a solid Level 7 performance today. ( Personal objectives dealt with above)

FOR REFEREE COMMENT:
1. Please indicate here any challenge to any matter of fact in the report. Please describe in enough detail (providing timing if possible) to enable any further review.

2. Please provide a written comment as to how this report will be used by you for purpose of development & preparation for your next appointment, including the usefulness of the REVIEW process.

REPORT CIRCULATION

SUPPORTING MATCH STATISTICS DOCUMENTATION

STOPPAGES
Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Total
Scrum Engagements 8+2R 5+1R 5+1R 6+1R 24+5R
Line-outs 6 7 7 8 28
Penalties 6 5 5 5 21
FKs 1 0 0 0 1
Injuries / Stoppages 0 1 3 2 6
Unplayables 0 1 1 0 2

RED & YELLOW CARDS
Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 TOTAL
Team Carded Home Away Home Away Home Away Home Away Home Away
Yellow Card 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1
Red Card 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS: Record any significant events, including material non-compliances, critical incidents, Law errors Record only Material Non-compliance statistic and briefly state WHY it was material in each ‘description’ section below.
Half Time
Mins Player Number Team
Offending Description of NC
1 5 12 S Offside in centre closing down space and attacking options
1 34 10 S Offside in centre closing down space and attacking options

2 6 5 S Early jump denying vision for thrower
2 13 10 B Offside in centre closing down space and attacking options

A material non-compliance occurs when an offence has not been sanctioned by a penalty, free kick or scrum. This offence will have had a material affect on the play at that time. It is still a material non-compliance even if the referee has acknowledged the offence to a player or given him a warning but no sanction was used. This does not include the referee had called penalty advantage and an advantage was gained by the non offending side.

Critical incidents, Law Errors and or any pre/post match events crucial to the overall view of performance are included in this section. A Critical Incident occurs when:
(a) a score is prevented when a score should have taken place
(b) a score is awarded when a score should not have taken place
(c) a decision is made which totally affects the outcome of the match

PENALTY PATTERN TIME LINE: If a player’s number is unknown, place a ‘?’ in the third column.
Half Time
Mins Player Number Team
Offending Description of Offence
1 6 ? B Not releasing at tackle
1 9 3 B Obstruction
1 11 3 B Offside at ruck
1 11.5 6 B Slipping binding at scrum
1 12 12+13 B Offside at ruck
1 19 7 S Slipping binding at scrum

1 21 13 S Not allowing release at tackle
1 25 ? B Incorrect joining at ruck
1 27 5 S Moving offside at lineout
1 29 6 S Diving in at tackle
1 38 13 B Offside at ruck

2 2 4,5,6,7,8 B Team illegal wheel at scrum
2 3 ? S In from side at tackle
2 8 7 S Not releasing at tackle
2 11 7 B Illegal high tackle (verbal warning)
2 14 7 B Not releasing at tackle YELLOW

2 21 4 S Obstruction
2 28 4 S Not releasing at tackle
2 29 ? B Holding down at lineout
2 32 4 B Incorrect joining at ruck
2 38 ? S Offside at ruck

1 1 Team S Early engagement FREE KICK

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Peter - well done.

This Group / Panel Report format which gives a much clearer picture than the usual L6,7,8 Form 2 report format.

Overall view I got is a good performance, minor blemishes spoilt it by inconsistency in communications by signals & voice.

Key points from the report I would be looking at would be :

1. Advantage calls - at L7 you must get all three elements consistently "scrum - advantage - red". Simples :biggrin:

2. Preventative - PK - YC is good management control - you impressed the assessor !

3. Add extra downtime quiet chats with skippers and key players to add to that control

4. Limp secondaries - no excuse at L7. Practice and get it sorted urgently.

5. Scrum resets for early engagement managed well with early FK. Well done on binding PKs - too few refs will do that, and also oin wheel PK - this is L7 after all, they know.

6. NCs indicate you are missing backs behind your back - stand more open, not facing ruck/maul and turn your head both ways.

To progress you know you have to work on speed, speed and speed. The jump form L7 to L6 is significant. if you have Panel AR apsirations you need to get to L6 at least - opportunities for those not coming off Panel / Group as referees are getting fewer and fewer, so it is very competitive indeed.

In Hampshire we have 3 Elite ARs (one is now IRB AR too), and 2 Panel ARS and we have an AR development group this season of 2 x L6 and 1 x L7 (two of whom have regualr experiencem mid-week as they are Combined Services ARs). So three competitors for you for AR Panel from just one Society !

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
nice one Peter ... it seems you learn quickly

Enrique

Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Peter,

Well done!

As a side note: Is there any place from where I could retrieve the form (or the format) for this assessor's report? We are discussing to improve assessors' reports here, and having examples of forms used by other societies is very useful. Thanks!

PeterH

Referees in England
Post Likes
Peter,

Well done!

As a side note: Is there any place from where I could retrieve the form (or the format) for this assessor's report? We are discussing to improve assessors' reports here, and having examples of forms used by other societies is very useful. Thanks!

Enrique

ask Simon - he might have them

==================

Speed - ah yes
Trouble is - as a 19 stone 10 ex-hooker/prop - that's always the trickiest part

Was 20 stone this summer - so coming down slowly
My fitness test - 6 (400m) laps in 12 minutes = failed last time
12 minutes 40 = too slow - so need to keep working on that and my 10m sprint speed...
Trouble is - when I was playing at Levels 2-4 - I couldn't catch wingers then - that was 10 years ago....
:(

PeterH

Referees in England
Post Likes
Peter - well done.

This Group / Panel Report format which gives a much clearer picture than the usual L6,7,8 Form 2 report format.

Overall view I got is a good performance, minor blemishes spoilt it by inconsistency in communications by signals & voice.

Key points from the report I would be looking at would be :

1. Advantage calls - at L7 you must get all three elements consistently "scrum - advantage - red". Simples :biggrin:

2. Preventative - PK - YC is good management control - you impressed the assessor !

3. Add extra downtime quiet chats with skippers and key players to add to that control

4. Limp secondaries - no excuse at L7. Practice and get it sorted urgently.

5. Scrum resets for early engagement managed well with early FK. Well done on binding PKs - too few refs will do that, and also oin wheel PK - this is L7 after all, they know.

6. NCs indicate you are missing backs behind your back - stand more open, not facing ruck/maul and turn your head both ways.

To progress you know you have to work on speed, speed and speed. The jump form L7 to L6 is significant. if you have Panel AR apsirations you need to get to L6 at least - opportunities for those not coming off Panel / Group as referees are getting fewer and fewer, so it is very competitive indeed.

In Hampshire we have 3 Elite ARs (one is now IRB AR too), and 2 Panel ARS and we have an AR development group this season of 2 x L6 and 1 x L7 (two of whom have regualr experiencem mid-week as they are Combined Services ARs). So three competitors for you for AR Panel from just one Society !

Thanks Simon
I am without a coach right now - so input from here is very useful!!

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Speed - ah yes
Trouble is - as a 19 stone 10 ex-hooker/prop - that's always the trickiest part

Was 20 stone this summer - so coming down slowly
My fitness test - 6 (400m) laps in 12 minutes = failed last time
12 minutes 40 = too slow - so need to keep working on that and my 10m sprint speed...
Trouble is - when I was playing at Levels 2-4 - I couldn't catch wingers then - that was 10 years ago....
:(

i have the same issues .... i have gone from 22st to 17st .. but i still cant seem to find 4th gear let alone 5th for the wingers

Fat Twin

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Peter - surely you have forgotten that your "coach" is the invisible man! :wink: