[Law] Law 1 -- Offside from kick. What is the decision ?

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Red attack Blue. Red kick ball long, into blue's 22. Blue 15 runs back into the 22 and gathers the ball. He carries it to the 22 metre line and then kicks the ball. His forwards have not got back quite as quickly and are standing on their own 10 metre line. The kicked ball is caught by the red 10 on the centre-line and he runs forward. He runs into the blue forwards ( who remain on their 10 metre line throughout) and is tackled by them on blue's 10 metre line. Blue kicker had decided to stay on his 22 and admire his wonderful clearance kick ;-)

What do you do ?
(a) Play on
(b) PK to red for offside. Where is mark ?
(c) Options to red of scrum or PK. Where is mark for scrum if so ?
(d) Something else

Thanks

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Without looking, going to assume 10m law doesn’t apply as exactly 10m back, so red have run 10m (> 5m) so put blue onside, play on ?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Without looking, going to assume 10m law doesn’t apply as exactly 10m back, so red have run 10m (> 5m) so put blue onside, play on ?

+1. Sounds good to me.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
What they said ^^^^^

If the Blue players on their own 10m line are not within 10m of where the ball will land they are offside, but do not need to retire, they just can't move forward towards the ball or interfere with play.

So how does that player (who isn't within 10m) get put onside?

He must move behind an onside teammate.
Or an opponent carries the ball 5m, passes or kicks the ball (note these options don't apply if he is offside within 10m).

So in your scenario as the others have said, it's play on. The Blue players were not within 10m of the landing place and did not move forward or interfere with play. The Red player runs forward 10m (so more than 5m) at which point we are back in open play.

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I agree with all so far.
I ask because I am getting increased feedback from players + coaches that suggests people believe that anyone simply in front of the kicker should be penalised immediately. If they don't move towards the catcher then play-on ( and assuming you give them a "Stop!" shout which should really help )

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I agree with all so far.
I ask because I am getting increased feedback from players + coaches that suggests people believe that anyone simply in front of the kicker should be penalised immediately. If they don't move towards the catcher then play-on ( and assuming you give them a "Stop!" shout which should really help )

This is where the definitions in the 2017 and earlier law books were so good.
I don't think the following explanation is in the 2019 Law book but it still applies.

[LAWS]DEFINITIONS
At the start of a game all players are onside. As the match progresses players may
find themselves in an offside position. Such players are then liable to be penalised
until they become onside again.
In general play a player is offside if the player is in front of a team-mate who is
carrying the ball, or in front of a team-mate who last played the ball.
Offside means that a player is temporarily out of the game. Such players are liable
to be penalised if they take part in the game.
In general play, a player can be put onside either by an action of a team-mate or by
an action of an opponent. However, the offside player cannot be put onside if the
offside player interferes with play; or moves forward, towards the ball, or fails to
move 10 metres away from the place where the ball lands.[/LAWS]

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The prohibition on loitering seems to have been removed?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
........ you give them a "Stop!" shout which should really help )

It makes it a hell of a lot easier to do this if they have a number on their back!
Refereed a game last Saturday where one team had no numbers and I think it makes life very difficult as a referee.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It makes it a hell of a lot easier to do this if they have a number on their back!
Refereed a game last Saturday where one team had no numbers and I think it makes life very difficult as a referee.

Or when you have two number 19 shirts on the field, that happened to me, thankfully neither had been carded at the point we realised!

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Red attack Blue. Red kick ball long, into blue's 22. Blue 15 runs back into the 22 and gathers the ball. He carries it to the 22 metre line and then kicks the ball. His forwards have not got back quite as quickly and are standing on their own 10 metre line. The kicked ball is caught by the red 10 on the centre-line and he runs forward. He runs into the blue forwards ( who remain on their 10 metre line throughout) and is tackled by them on blue's 10 metre line. Blue kicker had decided to stay on his 22 and admire his wonderful clearance kick ;-)

What do you do ?
(a) Play on
(b) PK to red for offside. Where is mark ?
(c) Options to red of scrum or PK. Where is mark for scrum if so ?
(d) Something else

Thanks

Although agree answer is play on....in real life this just wpuldnt happen! Forwards in front of kickers never stand still after a kick as they just turn and chase like a dog chasing a cheese burger (as do backs too!). So chances are 999 time out of 1000 you're going to actually apply c. :wink:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Although agree answer is play on....in real life this just wpuldnt happen! Forwards in front of kickers never stand still after a kick

in my experience they all know they have to stand still, and when the first kick happens a loud shout of STAY lets thrm know tht you know -- and the rest of the game they stay still

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
in my experience they all know they have to stand still, and when the first kick happens a loud shout of STAY lets thrm know tht you know -- and the rest of the game they stay still

Yours must be smarter over there! I wonder what would happen if you say nothing? (Would they just advance out of habit?)
It never ceases to amaze me how many players in my parts still chase when they are clearly in front of the kicker.

(possibly the influence of rugby league here and their offside rule??)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Its like every type of offside , if you don't enforce it they gradually take more and more liberties

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Although agree answer is play on....in real life this just wpuldnt happen! Forwards in front of kickers never stand still after a kick as they just turn and chase like a dog chasing a cheese burger (as do backs too!). So chances are 999 time out of 1000 you're going to actually apply c. :wink:

Well yes, the answer to a different question often is different.