Law 10, PTs & YCs

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I seem to remember a previous thread where this may have been discussed.

Law 10 states;
A penalty try must be awarded if the offence prevents a try that would probably otherwise have been scored. A player who prevents a try being scored through foul play must either be cautioned and temporarily suspended or sent off.

However, this particular statement is part of 10.2(a) Intentionally Offending and one could argue that a clumsy, unintentional high tackle would fall outside the requirement for a YC except that the highlighted part above, seems to be a general, sweeping statement.

10.2(c) deals with throwing into touch and then states;
A penalty try must be awarded if the offence prevents a try that would probably otherwise have been scored. Note that the requirement of a YC is not repeated here but is it taken for granted that ALL Law 10 offences that result in a PT must be accompanied by a YC?

What Law 10 offences are there that you, as the referee, would award a PT but not necessarily give a YC for?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
IIUC Foul play doesnt require 'intent' to be established.

Id say no, not all law 10 offences.
I read it that ONLY 10.4 FOUL PLAY offences meet the expectation (unless otherwise specifically stated ..... ie as per 10.2(c) which operates as an exception to that rule )

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
There's an IRB clarification that says a card isn't automatic.

I will see if I can find it.

Here it is.

[LAWS]Ruling in Law by the Designated Members of the Rugby Committee
Law 10.2(a) is Unfair Play relating to Intentional Offending.

The two paragraphs in Law 10.2(a) must be read in conjunction, having due regard to the heading 'Intentionally Offending'.

Therefore, if a penalty try is awarded as the result of a player intentionally offending, then the player must be either be cautioned and temporarily suspended or sent off.

Examples of this would be after penalty tries resulting from:
• a collapsed scrum
• a collapsed maul
• a defending player intentionally offside
• a defending player intentionally knocking down the ball.

If a penalty try is awarded as the result of a player unintentionally offending, the player, as well as being liable to cautioning and temporary suspension or send off, can be admonished by the referee.

Examples of this may be after penalty tries resulting from:
• mistimed tackle (early or late, but not dangerous)
• unintentional reactionary high tackle, but not dangerous.[/LAWS]

Last edited:

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Interesting. I think there is an assumption by many in the game that a penalty try is an Automatic Yellow card.