[In-goal] Law 14 & In-goal

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
We all know that Laws 15, 16 & 17 do not apply in the in-goal area.
What about Law 14 and specifically Law 14.2?
What about if a defender has gone to ground to gather a ball in the FoP and slides into in-goal and rather than give away a scrum 5 he attempts to get up with the ball as an attacking player arrives? Can the attacking player fall on him to ensure a scrum 5?
The Laws give no exceptions in Law 14 in line with 15, 16 & 17. Law 22 states that all infringements in in-goal are treated as if they happened in the FoP but we know there are no T/R/M offences applicable when in-goal.

Will need to see a replay of the Wasps v Connacht game this morning to check, but there may have been a Law 14.2 scenario in-goal around 20 minutes in.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I would say he can (as long as it's not dangerous)... so preventing him from getting up yes, but can't belly flop like a ton of bricks onto a prone player..

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I would say he can (as long as it's not dangerous)... so preventing him from getting up yes, but can't belly flop like a ton of bricks onto a prone player..

Yes, for the sake of this discussion, let's say there is no dangerous flopping involved.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
14.2 (a) Applies in goal. So, No a player must not intentionally fall on or over a player with the ball who is lying on the ground. The player on the ground is, of course, governed by 14.1 (a) (b) and (c)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
14.2 (a) Applies in goal. So, No a player must not intentionally fall on or over a player with the ball who is lying on the ground. The player on the ground is, of course, governed by 14.1 (a) (b) and (c)

I would agree with this. You can't have a tackle in goal, but law 14 isn't a tackle situation, so the law must still apply. We are not told anywhere in the law book that law 14 does not apply in goal.