Law 15 (3)

Last_20

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
15 (3) Players involved in all stages of the ruck must have their heads and shoulders no lower than their hips. Sanction: Free-kick.
How often, if at all, have referees given a free kick for head and shoulders below hips at the ruck? Having watched hours of Prem rugby, the amateur game (Levels 4-6 most often), refereed at Levels 7 and below I cannot recall ever having seen it penalised? And I can confirm I don't think I have ever penalised it?
Watching BT Sport regarding the recent red cards inc. Cobus Weise for Sale v Toulouse, I was struck by Dallaglio's observation that Wiese needs to learn to not compete or clear out as the risk of an illegal clear out is so high)- not going to debate the red - but was then struck by this image and the refs line of sight? If referees always penailsed under 15 (3) then there is no need for risky clear out?1674229287560.png

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I'm not going to dispute that this law is rarely penalised, however the photo you provide is not a ruck... That is a player jackling a tackle prior to a ruck forming.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Red player is supporting his own body weight.
For me the ref is looking at the Blue player and not in the direction of your arrow.
Responsibility here lies with the arriving Blue player, not the Red player.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
it's a Law that no one pays any attention (like a lot of ruck laws!). WR should remove it from the Law Book

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Agreed, the arrow is quite clearly not the ref's line of sight. and the player is jackling. Nothing to see in that picture.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I'm not going to dispute that this law is rarely penalised, however the photo you provide is not a ruck... That is a player jackling a tackle prior to a ruck forming.
and therein lies the inmpracticality of the laws as writ.
The jackler can do that. shoulders below hips.

Blue now makes contact. Ruck formed. Red cannot magically now become shouders above hips.

its a farce.

Statesman

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I don’t think a ruck can form from this position. It’s a legal jackal. So if red does not gain possession then it’s penalty to red. If red does gain possession then blue can tackle him and the process begins again.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I don’t think a ruck can form from this position. It’s a legal jackal. So if red does not gain possession then it’s penalty to red. If red does gain possession then blue can tackle him and the process begins again.
Red has his hands on BEFORE any ruck forms . Therefore, he will be legal. Blue on the floor has to let go. First offence with be Blue holding on what ever happens from here.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
and therein lies the inmpracticality of the laws as writ.
The jackler can do that. shoulders below hips.

Blue now makes contact. Ruck formed. Red cannot magically now become shouders above hips.

its a farce.
And that is where common sense comes in. He is legal, others subsequently forming, and joining, the ruck must be Shoulders above hips.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Let's face it all of the ruck laws are normally ignored

Modern rucking for the ball carrying team is

arrive as low as possible and lever opponents off their feet and out of the ruck, taking care yourself to try and land on the ground to block the ball
Once all opponents have given up form a human caterpillar with each player resting hand on the wall in front
Meanwhile, the ball carrier keeps his hand on the ball the whole time

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
…form a human caterpillar…
I detest this - can we just yell “use it” the moment the ball reaches the first segment of the caterpillar? If you can toe the ball along then the ball is available - and would speed it up as well.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Meanwhile, the ball carrier keeps his hand on the ball the whole time
Ive explained multiple times why the BC keeps a hand on the ball.

Hint: its not to stop the oppo from taking it.