Law 15.7 binding onto player in the ruck

Treadmore

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
seems unrealistic for the ref - and all the arriving players - to expect to keep tabs on who is who, in the ground

Well this case was quite simple, tackle, then ruck with only 2 players.

In case where more than 2 in the ruck, and then some but not all go to ground, then the suggestion above to stick with offside lines determined by those on their feet seems sensible and simple.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
the suggestion above to stick with offside lines determined by those on their feet seems sensible and simple.

Yes that was what the Law used to say, but WR very recently specifically changed the Law to say hindmost body part, with a diagram to show people on the floor are included.

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
seems unrealistic for the ref - and all the arriving players - to expect to keep tabs on who is who, in the ground

I agree. Everyone there is in the ruck,

a. whether or not they are on the ground
b. whether or not they are on their feet
c. whether they were there initially (formed the ruck) or joined later

This is a lot easier for the ref to determine.

This I under stand, however I've been advised that the off feet participants "don't count" as long as the rucker drives over and past the ball. The ruck is the person or people on their feet. So the former participants are no longer classed as participants. That's how it's reffed up here in the Cali leagues anyway.

Ian_Cook - Maybe I'm misunderstanding what your saying with this part

"The fact that White 19 has driven through is irrelevant, he does not carry the offside line forward with him as he does so, the offside line remains "the hindmost point of any ruck participant"."

This is how rucks are coached. You drive your opponent back over the ball, once your past the ball another player can then pick the ball up (assuming the driving player is still bound on). Doesn't matter if the initial tackler and BC are there. Tha's what I've been coached and we've had many refs, ref it that way too.

Its not how its coached in the Club game here at any level, or NPC or SuperRugby, and not how its refereed here either. The only time that applies is when

a. The player driving past the ball is still on his feet, and
b. The driving player ends up ahead of the ball, and
c. The has driven past the player on the ground as well.

NOTE: That driving must be player bound to an opponent too, he cant just walk through the ruck without binding.

This is where you often hear referees say "counter-ruck is good" or words to that effect

In the case in question, White 19 has driven through but has gone off his feet (and in any case, he has not driven past the ball, his left foot is still between White 18 and the ball) and he has not driven past the Gold player on the ground.

Last edited: