Law 18.8 a

brvanisi

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
In the line out table for general play, one of the events (second from the bottom) is described as:
"A player, who is in touch, catches or picks up a ball which has reached the plane of touch"
The location for the mark of touch is:
"Where the ball reached the plane of touch."
And who throws in:
"The team of the player who caught or picked up the ball."
I cannot picture what this looks like? What scenario would this cover? I feel like I am misreading something?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I think iI see where you are going with this. .
Providing the ball reached the plane of touch by an action of an opposing player to the player who picked up or caught the ball then the catcher/picking up players team get the put in. But that isn't what the law says!

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The ball passes the plane of touch and then touches something (someone) who is in touch.
All its saying is that the kicker put it into touch, because its already in touch when it hits the player.

brvanisi

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
The ball passes the plane of touch and then touches something (someone) who is in touch.
All its saying is that the kicker put it into touch, because its already in touch when it hits the player.
So it's basically saying that a player who is in touch and picks up or catches a ball, is not the player who "took the ball into touch"? I was picturing a scenario like: Blue team sends a high box kick, blue team winger races down the pitch gets under the ball. Prior to catching the ball, the blue winger accidentally steps into touch and subsequently catches the ball while in touch. Throw-in to blue. I know it's wrong but the wording of it makes it sound like it's correct.

brvanisi

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I apologize if it seems like I am nitpicking. I am a newly certified referee but I played youth rugby and played in college. I have been coaching high school and youth rugby for a few years, but as I read through and study the laws there are so many things that I come across that when I read them, the wording doesn't make sense.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
So it's basically saying that a player who is in touch and picks up or catches a ball, is not the player who "took the ball into touch"?

Yes that's correct, providing it has crossed the plane of touch. (y)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I apologize if it seems like I am nitpicking. I am a newly certified referee but I played youth rugby and played in college. I have been coaching high school and youth rugby for a few years, but as I read through and study the laws there are so many things that I come across that when I read them, the wording doesn't make sense.

No need to apologise, the law on touch can be one of the most confusing....luckily the players don't understand it either!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So it's basically saying that a player who is in touch and picks up or catches a ball, is not the player who "took the ball into touch"? I was picturing a scenario like: Blue team sends a high box kick, blue team winger races down the pitch gets under the ball. Prior to catching the ball, the blue winger accidentally steps into touch and subsequently catches the ball while in touch. Throw-in to blue. I know it's wrong but the wording of it makes it sound like it's correct.
well spotted. The law wording is poor.

It even suggests that if blue kick ball into touch and it rolls into the fence, a blue and red player could chase after it ... the one who gets there first gets the throw :oops:

Last edited:

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
JFC. They need to make this easy. If you are in touch and touch the ball its a LO against you. If you jump out, catch the ball in the air and managed to fling it back on field before you touch the ground its play on. Make it dependant on whether the player is in touch (as in being grounded in touch) or not at the time of contacting the ball - we've all got enough mental load in grassroots, especially with TJ's from the crowd that are running around in thongs after being thrown the flag by the coach

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If you are in touch and touch the ball its a LO against you.
so who's going to pick up the ball lying against the fence? Nobody, cos it'll be a lineout against him/her

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If you jump out, catch the ball in the air and managed to fling it back on field before you touch the ground its play on. Make it dependant on whether the player is in touch (as in being grounded in touch) or not at the time of contacting the ball
the problem with this is the player could be in the 3rd row of the grandstand, jump in the air and knock ball back into FoP

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
the problem with this is the player could be in the 3rd row of the grandstand, jump in the air and knock ball back into FoP
Nope - your in touch if you touch the ground outside the FoP and remain so until you aren't touching the ground outside the FoP.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Presumably he's left the pitch without permission and is therefore liable to a penalty.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Not really. You have to go back to how last played the ball. Blue kicked it and Blue caught it. Red ball every time if the criteria for the ball being in touch are met.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
JFC. They need to make this easy. If you are in touch and touch the ball its a LO against you. I

Hmmm... not sure.

It leaves that open to red 11 running out of space, but spots blue player standing in touch momentarily, just in front of him/her - so kicks the ball into blue player.

lineout red.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Does this work?

If the ball touches anything beyound the line of touch iit is in touch whether or not the ball crosses the line.

If you are in touch and you touch / catch the ball, you did not take the ball in (the Kicker / passer of the ball did).
If you leave the field of play and touch / catch the ball and the ball crosses the line of touch you did take the ball in.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Hmmm... not sure.

It leaves that open to red 11 running out of space, but spots blue player standing in touch momentarily, just in front of him/her - so kicks the ball into blue player.

lineout red.
How about:
A player who is in contact with anything in touch is considered to be part of the touch line until they resume the FoP.
If a player was in touch they aren't back in the FoP until no part of them is in touch (ie a foot in the FoP and the other raised is in)
A player can jump from the FOP and play the ball before they land in touch.
Assuming Red played the ball last:
If blue a player is in touch, and they deliberately play at the ball before being back in the FoP, blue took it out, so red LO
If blue a player is in touch, it hits them and they didn't deliberately play at the ball before being back in the FoP, red took it out and so blue LO.
Doesn't matter if the ball crosses the line, only if it lands in touch or someone who is/was in touch.

I umpire netball at a state level and the requirements for netball throw-ins/off-court are much easier to interpret/officiate and the players to understand. Its also vastly easier to pick up and even during fast games the mental workload in working out off-court decisions - which happens vastly more than in a game of rugby - is much lower.

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
well touch laws were much simpler and easier to understand not that long agao - if it ended up in touch via whatever means it was the fault of the last person to play the ball when fully in the FoP.

Now its some complex blinking flow chart . I havent a clue any longer and ive given up.

All to do with keeping the ball in play mopre. When frankly at the leevls where this is "important" that could be acheived by stopping the rubbish at scrum time, rather than worrying about lineouts