law change thought

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
an International referee told us today at a development meeting that if he could change 1 law, it would be that the referee fed the ball into the scrum. I have some sympathy with this idea. Thoughts?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
How does the referee watch everything he else (props / flankers etc) if he is bend down putting the ball in?

This one is not for me.

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Too much to watch at scrums to have the ref doing other things.

Perhaps 5 m offside lines at rucks?

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
an International referee told us today at a development meeting that if he could change 1 law, it would be that the referee fed the ball into the scrum. I have some sympathy with this idea. Thoughts?
Or they could, I dunno, just enforce the current law?

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
For a new law - “No jumping for the ball on the field of play outside of the lineout or to keep the ball out of touch”. Takes care of a personal bugbear for me.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
For unsuccessful mauls, give the ball to the team going forward

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Too much to watch at scrums to have the ref doing other things.

Perhaps 5 m offside lines at rucks?
I hope not. Offside lines beyond the back foot are easy enough to manage at set pieces, but would be much more difficult in a more dynamic situation.

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I hope not. Offside lines beyond the back foot are easy enough to manage at set pieces, but would be much more difficult in a more dynamic situation.
And because they are not managed in the dynamic situation it stifles attacking play.

So by moving them to a more obvious 5 meters then encroaching becomes more more obvious and goes the attacking team more scope for creative and attractive play.

Also will get rid of the abomination, the caterpillar.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
And because they are not managed in the dynamic situation it stifles attacking play.

So by moving them to a more obvious 5 meters then encroaching becomes more more obvious and goes the attacking team more scope for creative and attractive play.

Also will get rid of the abomination, the caterpillar.
assuming people can join a ruck that has already formed, it wont.
If they cant join a ruck that has formed then all rucks are now 1 v 1 over the ball. Maybe that is an acceptable idea of course.

Last edited:

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Said it before;- ignore unintentional fumbles that give no clear advantage (They almost always provide a disadvantage to the fumbler's team)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Said it before;- ignore unintentional fumbles that give no clear advantage (They almost always provide a disadvantage to the fumbler's team)
I would like to see that trialled
Law change would be that a knock on is not an offence, unless it causes the knocking on team to get an advantage (rare)

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
How does the referee watch everything he else (props / flankers etc) if he is bend down putting the ball in?

This one is not for me.
How about. Put the ball on the floor about 500mm from tunnel on loose head side. SHs round the other side. After CBS and stable. Ref sidefoots ball in?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
How about. Put the ball on the floor about 500mm from tunnel on loose head side. SHs round the other side. After CBS and stable. Ref sidefoots ball in?
Sorry I thought you were serious for a moment.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I would like to see that trialled
Law change would be that a knock on is not an offence, unless it causes the knocking on team to get an advantage (rare)
Blue 15 knocks on in the 22.
Goes to ground to recover.
A ruck forms over him.

Does that constitute an advantage? His team has recovered possession, but are under defensive pressure.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Blue 15 knocks on in the 22.
Goes to ground to recover.
A ruck forms over him.

Does that constitute an advantage? His team has recovered possession, but are under defensive pressure.
No, the fumble was to his disadvantage, play on.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
SH reaches into the ruck to grab the ball, knocks on while the ball is still "in" the ruck.

Oppo cant play it - ball in ruck.

SH hasn't been disadvantaged.

presumably that IS a KO?