Law Changes 1 July 2022

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
This is mostly last years trials being written into law.

The only new law is the brake foot at the scrum and restrictions to water carriers.
Not really relevant at the level we ref at.

But good to see a summary of changes to the law book.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

The only new law is the brake foot at the scrum and restrictions to water carriers.

I think the last three are all basically new, and relevant to us

Law 13.3 Players on the ground in open play - in-goal implications
Making clearer that players on the ground in in-goal can play the ball for a touchdown or try even if they are on the ground
Bringing long standing practice into clarity, and updating a simplification amend

Law 18.25 Sanction for a lineout throw being prevented from travelling 5m
Making clear the Free Kick sanction covers all players, not just the nonthrowing-in team
2018 simplification oversight

Law 21.10 Knocking the ball from an grasp in in-goal
Making clear that a defender can knock the ball from the grasp of an opponent in the act of scoring
Clarity over defenders actions in ingoal law

Law 13.3 change is the most important - if you look at the Law itself (not just the comments above) you'll see that 13.3 no longer applies at all the in goal, something we have often hypothesised about

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I think the last three are all basically new, and relevant to us

Law 13.3 change is the most important - if you look at the Law itself (not just the comments above) you'll see that 13.3 no longer applies at all the in goal, something we have often hypothesised about

They are just tidying up the wording from the re-write to bring them back in line with what actually happens.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

But good to see a summary of changes to the law book.
Phil, why do you think that the brake foot is not really relevant at our level?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Phil, why do you think that the brake foot is not really relevant at our level?

Because at my level (7 and below) and even at 6 and 5 they do this all the time already, they may not know they are doing it and may not know what its called, but they do it every scrum. Its only at Pro level really that they want to get the brake foot back on the Bind to get more pressure on (or absorb more pressure).

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Because at my level (7 and below) and even at 6 and 5 they do this all the time already, they may not know they are doing it and may not know what its called, but they do it every scrum. Its only at Pro level really that they want to get the brake foot back on the Bind to get more pressure on (or absorb more pressure).
Probably because the players' coaches at early stages as well as senior have been taught correctly, have listened, and implemented it.

Didds (previous RFU Develeper Coach, Scrum factory CPD and rugby Ready CPD etc)

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
During my pre-season match all the hookers (those that were aware of the brake foot amendment :) ) said "we do that anyway".

So on the evidence of one match I'd agree with PhilE it is perhaps "irrelevant"

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Re: brake foot, in my neck of the woods too often I've seen the brake foot stay in the tunnel. I'd mention it to the hooker in the pregame chat, and FK it every time I saw it (and lots of such FKs led to it being added to the chat).

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
During my pre-season match all the hookers (those that were aware of the brake foot amendment :) ) said "we do that anyway".

So on the evidence of one match I'd agree with PhilE it is perhaps "irrelevant"
thee are lots of Laws that players pretty much always comply with - I don't think that means it's irrelevant.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I've never even heard of a brake foot ... let alone seen one. So a relevant addition for me. In 2023, when we pick up these changes.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I've never even heard of a brake foot ... let alone seen one. So a relevant addition for me. In 2023, when we pick up these changes.
look at the highlights of SA v NZ if you can.. both hookers were penalised for it.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
It was trialled in the 6N and higher up bits of Rugby in Europe/RFU land and has been rolled out from there.

It's basically another tool to deal with the so called axial loading along with ear to ear changing to temple to temple.

Probably only an issue for showbiz Rugby (hookers) because they're the ones who are gunna come-a-knockin' in 5-10 years with their degenerative neck complaints so something needs to be done.

Last edited: